Moss vs Blue Star Creeper

lil_squawAugust 29, 2006

Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum and have a question about moss. I have been gardening forever it seems, and NEVER throw away plants. If they dont do well somewhere, I move it. But I have a dilemma. I have a flagstone walkway and have painstakingly planted a walkable groundcover in the cracks "Blue Star Creeper". My problem is the moss that has taken a home in the cracks as well. It is lifting the groundcover and I fear it will not let the roots of it survive. I cant find anything to kill, "yes, I want to kill a plant!! sigh!!" the moss and leave my plant safe. Any ideas?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
deep_woods(z5 central IL)

lil squaw;

Try miracle gro. It has zinc in it. You will be fertilizing the "Blue Star Creeper" and discouraging the moss. I am wondering why the moss is taking over. Is there enough light for the "Blue Star". Your walkable groundcover should easily out compete the moss unless the groundcover has issues with it's location.

Again fert the groundcover. You can also purchase moss killers that contain zinc or copper salts that will kill it but unless your groundcover takes off the moss will just come back.

A home remedy is to find something galvanized and pour water over it while lightly scrubbing the zinc surface. Catch the water in a receptacle and pour this water over the moss. The zinc from the galvanizing process will kill the moss. When I use live moss in wire hanging baskets I spray paint the wires black to prevent the zinc from killing the moss.

Rick

Bookmark   August 30, 2006 at 9:07AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lil_squaw

Thank you so much Rick.. I am on a mission now. The creeper is doing fine, and is thriving, but all the trailers and new growth is being lifted by the moss. I will try the zinc... thanks so much. Pamela

Bookmark   August 31, 2006 at 7:17AM
More Discussions
ID for Winter Mushrooms?
Please see the Flickr link below if you think you might...
vmr423
Platycerium madagascariense updates
Just showing a few forms of this interesting group...
RainforestGuy
Volunteer ID
I had this volunteer in a pot and I'd like to put it...
biinaboo
ID needed: Is this a Rabbit's Foot Fern?
Hi all, I found this nice little fern growing in 1...
bobochacha
Sphagnum moss problem
This happened once before when it got too hot but this...
cooperdr_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™