Size of pot for new Meyer Lemon?

amg_2007August 18, 2013

Hi everyone!

I purchased a meyer lemon tree on a whim at the nursery today. I probably really should have waited and ordered one from 4 winds, but it's already home with me!

I've spent some time this afternoon looking over these forums and doing interwebs research in general. My tree will be a patio tree that comes inside in the winter (I'm in an apartment in Kansas City, MO).

I know that I need to make / find some good soil and that I need fertilizer. Any suggestions on what size pot I should be looking at? For reference, the Record Buck pot it came in is 10" diameter and about 9" tall. I think that this tree is a 2-3 year old cutting based on the size and the fact that I can't find an obvious graft scar. Oddly, though, it did branch rather low compared to the other pics that I've seen here. It's about 36" on the tallest branch and a little more than two feet wide.

Any and all other suggestions are also appreciated!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
amg_2007

Here's a closer picture of the trunk.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 8:27PM
houstontexas123(z9a)

i'd suggest going a little bigger, not too much, since you're in a cooler climate and will be moving it indoors. probably around a 14" wide X 12" tall pot would work well. if your tree was rooted it may be a full sized variety, or if it was grafted most likely onto a dwarf rootstock and it would do well in a pot.

do you know if it's grafted? i dont see a graft line in the picture. and it seems to be planted a little deep. remove some of that debris away from the base of the trunk, and a little of the soil and take another pic.

Bookmark   August 18, 2013 at 11:08PM
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)

Amber Eureka lemon does anyone know where I can get a tree or seeds.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 5:13AM
amg_2007

Houston,
I brushed away the dirt better in this picture. We're at root, and I still don't see the bud onion.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 9:02AM
More Discussions
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
My first Meyer Lemon tree in the heat of Arizona
Hi Everyone, My last adventure with growing blueberries...
jacqdavis
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™