Which ferns don't take over a garden space?

bunnycat(z6 NY)August 24, 2005

My experience with ferns is very limited. I only have Japanese Painted Ferns, which expand slowly in my garden. I rarely find one popping up uninvited in a different area.

When I was a child my mother's ferns were always popping up under the asphault in the driveway. She put salt on them. My neighbor had the same problem. I have a small garden at our summer cabin, and one fern has popped up and wants to take over. It spreads by way of woody runners.

I would like to add some ferns to my hosta garden which "behave" well like the Japanese Painted fern.

Any suggestions?

~Bunnycat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

Christmas fern, northern maidenhair fern, ebony spleenwort. These are well behaved.

Ostrich fern, sensitive fern, bracken fern, these are not well behaved. If your mother lived in the northeast, it was likely ostrich fern which popped up here and there.

Moderately behaved ferns: New York fern, broad beech fern, lady fern, netted chain fern.

In moist places, ferns are more likely to be aggressive than in dry or average places.

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 1:20PM
bunnycat(z6 NY)

Thank you. I'll see what I can find in the spring at our garden stores.
~Bunnycat

Bookmark   August 24, 2005 at 3:39PM
Milly55(8)

You might want to try Sword Fern as well and they are good value online at the Botany Store www.botanystore.com

Bookmark   August 31, 2005 at 6:35PM
harvey12(z7 NC)

I don't think that sword fern would survive in zone 5. I can't keep it going in zone 7, even with heavy mulching. It is also moderately invasive in locations in Florida. I would add Autumn Fern and other dryopteris cousins. They are well behaved and fairly easy to grow.

Bookmark   August 31, 2005 at 9:43PM
karinl(BC Z8)

The flip version of your question is actually easier; of the ferns commonly on the market there is only a handful that spread aggressively. To the ones already mentioned by Esh (listed as 'not' and 'only moderately' well behaved) I would add the hay-scented fern (Dennstaedtia)m and the little Blechnums wander a bit too. All the Polystichums I've ever met are very good about staying where planted, as are the Woodsias (definitely hardy enough for you), the Dryopterises, the Cyrtomiums... I don't know if you can grow all these, but if you can they'll stay put.

Bookmark   September 7, 2005 at 10:46AM
More Discussions
Unknown Fern ID
I had this fern sprout in a pot with another plant....
foxd
Sphagnum moss update!
Frozen Sphagnum Moss- the tiny bit of purple in there...
cooperdr_gw
Platycerium madagascariense updates
Just showing a few forms of this interesting group...
RainforestGuy
Doradilla? Fem Scale?
So I was in this Mexican market and found something...
cooperdr_gw
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this but excited to learn more. I was...
momo034
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™