Help Identifying

mgecaAugust 11, 2007

Hi - I was in a wooded area with acres of ferns where I encountered a small ground plant I can't identify altho I think it occurs commonly. It looks like a fluffy evergreen wreath 2-4" in diameter. Soft to the touch.

I decided to take a few for re-planting at home and then discovered that they are connected underground by a runner, vine, root? I hestitated, worrying about something that might take over my yard.

I had gathered some ferns for my pond area, and when I sorted them out there were a few of these plants (pretty, my wife says) and so they are planted.

Can anyone tell me what I have and if they are a potential nuisance? I'd like more as they are a nice groundcover.

Thanks much - Mike

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
esh_ga

It could be a type of lycopodium.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is one type

Bookmark   August 11, 2007 at 12:24PM
mgeca

I think you are right, even with my sketchy description. I have seen this over the years and "club moss" was on the tip of my tongue but that was it.

What we planted is thriving and growing quite a bit. How invasive is it? If I plant a few areas will I have a problem with it taking over?

Many thanks - Mike

Bookmark   August 11, 2007 at 4:27PM
esh_ga

For me it is not invasive at all. Some people even have trouble transplanting it as they mistakenly dig up runners instead of rooted sections.

I think it will be easy to control if it starts to exceed the area you want to give it. Just snip it, I have not found it to be that tightly rooted where the runners are.

I think you'll like it. I enjoy the fact that it is evergreen around here and it makes a pleasant sight in the winter.

Bookmark   August 11, 2007 at 10:11PM
stanofh

Lycopodiums are protected native plants. Wild plants that usually die when dug up.

Bookmark   August 15, 2007 at 8:58PM
More Discussions
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Rescuing wilting Holly Fern
I'm struggling to grow my Japanese holly fern in my...
fieldofflowers
selling moss
I have been picking moss for a well sized moss distributor...
trista28
Reviving sphagnum
I've been trying to revive my sphagnum moss using dried...
David146
Sphagnum moss problem
This happened once before when it got too hot but this...
cooperdr_gw
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™