suggestions for a fern

braspadya(z7a MD)August 11, 2005

Hello:

I am helping a friend design a very small Japanese garden for her new garden level apartment in Bethesda Maryland (zone 7). There is a large light well that opens onto 3 windows in the main sitting area. The bottom of the light well is covered with medium sized white pebbles. The light well gets filtered shade for much of the day. The back & sides of the light well are lined with masonary walls, about 2.5 foot tall .

Anyway, the main plant element is likely to be a shallow planting dish filled with moss & perhaps a single fern. I would love some advice on picking a particular fern species. It would ideally be somewhat upright, perhaps 2 to 3 ft tall. Hardy in Zone 7. The foliage might be evergreen, or at least retain some interesting shape in the winter months. Ferns able to take a bit of abuse are better than delicate ones.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Dan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Herb

There are some included in the list here that may interest you -

Click here

Bookmark   August 14, 2005 at 5:41PM
karinl(BC Z8)

ONE fern? Choose ONE fern??? That captures in two words why I would have difficulty gardening in the Japanese style! If I understand correctly you would be seeing this plant from fairly close up so you'd want it to have pretty fronds, so I would consider... Dryopteris affinis, varia, or clintoniana, Polystichum makinoi or neolobatum, Osmunda claytoniana, or Matteuccia orientalis. These are some of the ferns whose fronds I enjoy the most throughout the year. They don't all comply with your "upright" criterion, but you said "fairly" upright, so I assumed some flexibility here.

Bookmark   August 18, 2005 at 9:05PM
braspadya(z7a MD)

Thanks to both of you for your answers! I really appreciate the suggestions.

Cheers,

Dan

Bookmark   August 18, 2005 at 10:45PM
More Discussions
Moss FAQS: Propagation
Moss FAQS: Propagation Moss must continually make more...
deep_woods
ID for Winter Mushrooms?
Please see the Flickr link below if you think you might...
vmr423
Foxtail Fern growing, but strangely.
This fall, about 5 or 6 weeks ago, I brought my foxtail...
SequoiaMatt99
Platyceriums for a cool, but frost-free climate?
Hi, I'm just curious whether people have suggestions...
mark4321_gw
Decidedly Unhappy Moss
Hey all I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Here, we...
JasonFourie514
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™