Sweet Peas

Pudge 2bJanuary 13, 2009

I'd like to grow some sweet peas this year to use for cut flowers. I've had requests for them at market but have never grown them. Not ever.

I was thinking about growing them on the east side of a cotoneaster hedge where they'll be protected from the prevailing west wind and shaded during the latter part of the day. The hedge is about 5' high and sheared annually right after the leaves emerge. I thought maybe I could use the hedge as a trellis - good idea, or not? I've been trying to figure out how to best grow them to make them easy to cut.

Any input most welcome.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitkat_oregon(7)

Hi Pudge, I would not recommend growing the SP's in the hedge, especially if you want the flowers for cutting. A trellis that is accessible from both sides is best. I use Hortnova netting put up vertically between two wooden posts, but you could use T posts. The vines are very vigorous and should produce prolifically. Harvest daily to keep them producing. What types are you growing? I always have Old Spice and this year I am also growing Spencer Hybrids and Insence Mix. I was going to add the Mammoth type too, but I ran out of room. Soooo many flowers to grow and not enough space. Sigh:) Kat

Bookmark   January 16, 2009 at 11:42AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pudge 2b

Thanks, Kat. Since I posted this question I've done more reading and have been discovering exactly what you suggest. I'll have to come up with a better location and trellising system.

I have Matucana and another unknown variety from harvested seed. Since I've never grown them, I'm not really sure what to expect but will give them a whirl and see what happens.

Bookmark   January 16, 2009 at 3:06PM
More Discussions
wedding flower help
1st . I would like to grow calla lollies for daughters...
mohawkmom
Wreath Master Machine for SALE!
wreath master machine for sale Ontario Canada. used...
aliross
fovglove tree from seed... advice
Its two months old... ant tips???
missdock-1
David Austin roses for cutting
Hey helloo community I'm brand new to roses and am...
Clemmielover
Zinnia flower heads not growing large as expected
I planted a variety of zinnias this year....smoothies...
tizzylizzyloo
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™