delivery charge to florists?

jodi5aJanuary 18, 2010

Hi--I've lurked on this site for a couple years and have learned so much. Thanks to everyone for taking your time to share.

I've got a question that I couldn't find in old posts. Last year I sold quite a few flowers to the local florist and since it was just a few miles to town and I would have been going anyway, mileage wasn't a concern. This year, however, I'd like to expand and try to sell to more florists. Because this is a very rural area, most towns have only one florist and it would be a 50-80 mile round trip. My question is, does anyone who sells to florists charge a delivery fee or have a minimum order requirement? Do you think this would be out of line? Should I just figure mileage into the cost per stem? (Guess that's several questions) Thanks for any advice!

Jodi

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
all_bout_flowers

Yes, charge a delivery fee. I have a florist that instists on it. They charge their customers a delivery fee. Make sure you tell your customers up front. If you have two deliveries in the same town and you can deliver the same day then maybe you can give them a break on the fee. I would tell them that if they wait until a certain day and time it would save them $5 on delivery I'm sure that they would be happy.
KB

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 3:31PM
budb(8b)

Jodi
I have a regular delivery day and do not charge a separate
delivery fee. However, for special orders on other days, I
do charge a nominal fee.

Bookmark   January 22, 2010 at 10:11PM
jodi5a

Thanks for the replies! A delivery charge makes it pencil a lot better and now I feel better about including one.

Bookmark   January 28, 2010 at 12:40PM
More Discussions
Growing zinnias and ranunculus for wedding
Hello, I am planning on growing the necessary flowers...
Logan-Jess
selling at markets, selling to florists
Hi, I'm wondering if most people sell only flowers...
phlowerpower
Cutting Zinnia's to vase
I have a few basic questions that I could not find...
Lady9
wedding flower help
1st . I would like to grow calla lollies for daughters...
mohawkmom
Self seeding annuals in zone 4
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has had experience...
greenthumbon1hand
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™