question about lily bulbs

gardengirl77January 21, 2011

I want to order some lily bulbs and I wanted to know if the size 12/14 lily bulbs will come up as well as the 14/16. I can get the smaller size for quite a bit cheaper and was wondering if they would work for cutting this year. Also, does anyone know how many years you can use a lily bulb for cutting?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
annebert(6b/7a MD)

Sure, they will come up fine. They will not have as many flowers the first year. In the ground, bulbs will keep getting bigger and last for years.

Bookmark   January 22, 2011 at 6:18PM
flowers4u(z6 OR)

If you plan to use the lilies multiple years, then you need to leave a good portion of the stalk or alternate years of cutting. This allows the bulb to grow and receive the light/nutrients it needs. If you cut it too hard they may not come back or will only have 1-3 blooms the following year.

And, in my case, the gophers love them, so mine are planted in crates or raised beds lined with hardware cloth and weedcloth first.

I like 14/16 because you can get 3-7 blooms depending upon the variety and they make a nice bouquet with 3 stems.

Good luck,
Wendy in OR

Bookmark   January 24, 2011 at 2:25PM
tommyk

The larger the bulb the larger & more flowers. After years of buying smaller bulbs and getting OK results, I spent the extra money for larger bulbs and the 1st year they ALL grew and had large flowers. In addition I made a special raised bed using Trex lumber, lined it with hardware cloth to prevent voles from eating the bulbs. I grow the lilies to sell at my Farmers' Market and they all sold quickly at $4/stem.

Buying larger bulbs also pertains to most other "bulb" plants.

Bookmark   January 25, 2011 at 1:38PM
gardengirl77

Thank you all for your responses! I appreciate the information.

Bookmark   January 28, 2011 at 10:17PM
More Discussions
Straw for mulch?
Hello everyone, I am considering using straw for mulch...
Fundybayfarm
Cutting Zinnia's to vase
I have a few basic questions that I could not find...
Lady9
White flowers for dappled shade
Looking for white annuals or perennials for under the...
lmsparkie
David Austin roses for cutting
Hey helloo community I'm brand new to roses and am...
Clemmielover
Need help identifying this plant/flower
My wife bought a variety pack of seeds and this plant/flower...
carillon
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™