Platycerium Fern Mounting Boards

RainforestGuyAugust 10, 2011

I have tried so many kinds of mounting boards. First off, its very difficult to find red wood and cedar lumber that are more than 6 inches wide that won't tear your wallet in half.

I have used red wood orchid boxes for some of the diminutive forms and species, but these only go so far.

I would like to hear, see what sort of base mounts people uses for their platyceriums.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
RainforestGuy

These are some examples of mounting boards I have used. This is just the basic format. Please share your top of the world designs and ideas.
This is a single redwood lumber cut and wired for ready to use as is.

I use LFS and plastic chicken wire for securing moss in place. A stapler gun makes my job easier to secure LFS to boards. LFS=Long Fiber Sphagnum

For double pieces this can be ideal for larger species such as elephantotis, stemmaria, grande, superbum, etc.
The back of the oard, I use just cost effective redwood garden stakes to nail boards together.

These can be made into any sizes desired.

and the back showing secured strap redwood stakes.

Bookmark   August 10, 2011 at 9:23PM
houstonpat(9a)

I have mounted stags using chicken wire in the past and prefer fishing line. About 20#. When it comes time to remount or divide the clump fishin line is the easiest.
I mainly use cedar boards and vary the size to meet my objectives. If I want a single plant I try to cut the board the size of the mature shield fronds. If I want offsets I will make the board about 2 or 3 times that size. For an ideal specimen I would like to try growing on the sides of a barrel, as that would best aproximate the shape of a tree trunk. Moss wire baskets are good but can become hard to work with when they get large. I have grown veitchii in between 2 slabs of sandstone which simulates rock outcroppings where they occur in Oz. I recommend Roy Vails self published book "Platycerium Hobbiest's Handbook" which provides much information on growing stags. His work with P andinum is most extensive.

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 12:24PM
RainforestGuy

I have the book when it was first published and signed by the author. I used to buy stags from Jerry Horne which started my passion with staghorn ferns.

I am trying to reestablish my collection again.

Bookmark   August 12, 2011 at 4:35PM
    Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 7:52PM
More Discussions
Rabbit Foot Fern dropping fronds
I have a rabbit foot fern, Davailla sp., that has been...
gill_bo_baggins
What is this? How do I help it?!
Hello everyone! I have had this sad little fern for...
maineegainer
Looking for unusual Maidenhair Ferns
Can anyone help me find a good reliable source (US)...
atravers
selling moss
I have been picking moss for a well sized moss distributor...
trista28
Reviving sphagnum
I've been trying to revive my sphagnum moss using dried...
David146
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™