ID these mushrooms at base of oak tree
Can someone tell me what these mushrooms are that are growing around the base of an old red oak tree? There are about 4 of these, and now they have some black growth on them, too.
I posted in the tree forum, and I got a reply that it indicates decay and the tree is probably dying. I don't know if I need to know the name of the mushroom, but I'm really curious about it. How serious does this look? Also, the fern(top right) in the first pic is turning brown...is lack of water the cause, or a sign of something worse?