How many plants should I buy???

gardengirl77January 1, 2011

Since I am new at cut flower farming.....I was wondering how many perennial plants like Delphinium I should be growing to have enough cuts for all summer/fall. I have about a half acre total that I am going to plant this spring with all my annual and perennial cut flowers. Could any of you give me a idea of how many Delphinium plants would be good to plant for that amount of land? I would appreciate any advice!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thinman(Z5 MI)

Hi, Gardengirl. I hope you will get answers from wiser people than I, but my first thought is that I'm not seeing how we can help you get enough cuts for all summer/fall. How about starting with how many you think you can sell and working backward from there?

Are you going to buy plugs? If it were me, I'd probably just buy a tray of 128 and see how those did.

ThinMan

Bookmark   January 1, 2011 at 4:49PM
gardengirl77

Thinman,
I would like to buy some Delphinium plugs, but I wanted to ask some flower farmers who have more knowledge than I do how many plants I should start with....since I am new at this. Thanks for your input!

Bookmark   January 2, 2011 at 10:31PM
grannymarsh(z4-5 U.P. MICH)

Perennial plants are an investment for the future. One doesn't reap the full benefits for a couple years. Are you selling them at Market or wholesale ?

Bookmark   January 5, 2011 at 7:52PM
gardengirl77

I will mostly be selling to florists. I worked as a florist years ago....so I already have a ''in'' with a few of the local florists I knew when I worked. So far I have four different businesses that want to buy my flowers on a regular basis...so now I need to figure out how many plants I'm going to need to try and keep a good supply for them all summer!

Bookmark   January 6, 2011 at 9:21PM
tommyk

Have you thought about buying seeds and starting your own plants? If you have a greenhouse you're all set. Plugs are great for hard to start plants but tend to cost a lot more and you'll still need a greenhouse to grow them on. Delphiniums are very easy to start & grow from seed, especially varities like Pacific Giants which the seeds are readily available for low costs.

How many plants to buy is a difficult question. If you have great soil, well grown plants and if the garden gods are with you, you can be productive with less plants. If not you'll have to purchase/grow a lot of plugs.

Too many factors involved for a specific number of plants.

If you have room, start your own plants, and plenty of garden space then go crazy.

A great source of info is the Cut Flowers Association web site.

Bookmark   January 7, 2011 at 3:44PM
More Discussions
Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine in Flower Arrangement?
Will an ornamental Sweet Potato Vine Survive in a floral...
christy51274
preparing very weedy area for next year's cutting garden
This year because of a host of unfortunate events and...
nancy0903
Straw for mulch?
Hello everyone, I am considering using straw for mulch...
Fundybayfarm
Bright Light Cosmos Never Again
This is the second year in a row that my bright light...
weld
Growing zinnias and ranunculus for wedding
Hello, I am planning on growing the necessary flowers...
Logan-Jess
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™