cut flower Dahlia: just long-stemmed or more?

linaria_gwJanuary 2, 2012

Hi there,

I have grown Dahlias occasionally in my plot and just enjoyed cutting flowers for a bouquet now and than. When choosing cultivars I just went with the recommendations of the catalog. For next season I want to get some new bulbs, so I wondered: what makes a good cutting-Dahlia-cultivar? My guess so far: medium-sized flowers, long stalks, a color which can be matched with other stuff. What else is important to you?

And, at last, what are your favorites, especially by Dutch/European breeders? Gardening in Switzerland, I can't lay my hands on US- Canadian stuff. Thanks for your experiences, happy new Year and all, bye, Lin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
all_bout_flowers

I would buy what ever one you think is the prettiest. As for me since I'm a flower farmer I have to go with what will last the longest. But what I do is what is recommended by Swan Island Dahlias for conditioning dahlias and that is after you just cut the stem put it in 160 F water with flower food. They say that makes them last longer. I also know dahlias really dirty the water so change it often. Cut early in the morning also. Other than that a lot of farmers use Karma dahlias for longevity. Others just go with what they like.

Happy New year.

Bookmark   January 6, 2012 at 9:21PM
grannymarsh(z4-5 U.P. MICH)

Some dahlias have floppy stems; that is, they will not hold the bloom up nicely. If one needs nice long cutting stems, then disbudding and/or de-branching is necessary.

Bookmark   January 22, 2012 at 9:22AM
Noni Morrison

I have found the best cut flower dahlias for me seem to be the waterlily, poms and balls. My flower stand is outside and in the sun part of the day. I have found that most cactus and fimbriated type flowers do not hold up well to this. The really huge dahlias tend to last for fewer days but are beautiful for special occasions. Anenome and orchid types tend not to hold up as cuts though there may be some exceptions. Other then that, trial and error will show you which ones have the substance to last for 5 days. That is all I would expect from even an excellent cut flower dahlia. Its what I tell my customers.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 4:54PM
grannymarsh(z4-5 U.P. MICH)

It must be the climate differences between us, lizalily. Waterlily types just melt for me after about 5 days. I guarantee all the dahlias that I take to my customers for a week.

Bookmark   February 21, 2012 at 8:24PM
Noni Morrison

GrannyM, I am amazed! But I am sure different climates to have major effects. I had just not thought of the differece!
So what holds up best for you?

Bookmark   February 22, 2012 at 10:06PM
More Discussions
Wreath Master Machine for SALE!
wreath master machine for sale Ontario Canada. used...
aliross
Avocado tree from seed
If I cut my avocado seed sprout down to 6", will...
ellen1818
Zinnia flower heads not growing large as expected
I planted a variety of zinnias this year....smoothies...
tizzylizzyloo
White flowers for dappled shade
Looking for white annuals or perennials for under the...
lmsparkie
Cutting Zinnia's to vase
I have a few basic questions that I could not find...
Lady9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™