Please help, Meyer Lemon Tree Disease??

jgilman08(6)August 17, 2013

Hi Everyone,

To start, I am not an experienced gardner and lack having a green thumb as they say. so any advise is appreciated.

10 days ago I purchase a Meyer Lemon Tree. It is quite large, I was told that it is 52 years old. The last 5 days or so I've been concerned that it might have some type of disease.

I have noticed:

1.)The leaves have a chalky substance on them, similar to a residue after water drops dried.

2) On few of the lemons that are mostly green have spots of a cream color along with veins of dried out peel.

3) On the one lemon that has turned yellow, there are dark indented spots on it and 1 with a sap like substance coming out.

Did my garden center sell me a disease tree?? Or am I just paranoid from my fear of killing it from lack of experience. We paid 250.00 for it and I don't want it to die.
I appreciate any help that anyone can provide.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jgilman08(6)

additional image

Bookmark   August 17, 2013 at 9:13PM
MohammadLawati

The first one is not a problem, It was rubbing on a wall or something?
The second has holes from the thorns as apparent in the picture, or maybe a worm, but mostly the thorns.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 2:57AM
johnmerr(11)

Both "problems" are mechanical or physical damage. I don't know what caused the punctures to the yellow fruit; but those punctures are the reason it has turned yellow. If you stab your fruit with a needle, it will turn yellow even before the fruit is fully mature; I have done that in experiments to try to encourage early coloring... it does promote coloring; but not ripening; and it does leave scars.

Bookmark   August 19, 2013 at 4:26PM
More Discussions
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Wish me luck - transplanted a 6-7 year old Golden Nugget
Planted too close to a bearss, the lime was towering...
serge94501
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
My first Meyer Lemon tree in the heat of Arizona
Hi Everyone, My last adventure with growing blueberries...
jacqdavis
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™