Root pruning a Dicksonia?

dirtslinger2(6)September 23, 2010

Today I brought home an aprox 5 gallon sized Dicksonia. The ugly plastic pot is nearly 2' tall and maybe 14" wide. So, this beast will not fit into any but a massive oversized pot which I doubt it would appreciate. .

How do they generally do with root pruning? And I'm afraid fairly significant?

Thanks for any tips.

This will be an "indoor" fern, already a big risk. I don't want to kill it.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
houstonpat(9a)

Root pruning will likely speed its demise.

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 7:02PM
dirtslinger2(6)

Could I get you to elaborate a bit?
Are you saying that ferns are more sensitive than other trees/shrubs/perennials?
Or that a laymon should not prune roots?
Root pruning other plants has never been a problem to me but honestly I'm not sure (aside from tips) where not to cut here with such a fibrous mess...

Bookmark   September 23, 2010 at 8:22PM
houstonpat(9a)

Regarding common ferns: Ferns generally don't do well indoors without very special care, or if you live in a tropical invironment and have open windows. Dicksonias tend to do best in cool, moist places such as coastal northern CA. They can do fairly well in drier environments, again if kept cool and well watered. They can survive in warmer environments so long as the the conditions are very humid and they are well watered. By removing any roots you reduce the fern's ability to absorb water. If I were to try growing a D.a. indoors, the first thing I would do is put it in a larger pot. - hey, I'm just the messenger. I would think Saepheropteris(sp) cooperi is likely your best chance at indoor tree ferns. Asplenium nidus for a fern overall.

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 1:25PM
dirtslinger2(6)

Great, thanks. I ended up with a bigger pot. Planning to mulch it as well. Thanks again!

Bookmark   September 24, 2010 at 9:52PM
puppet

hi
i saw a post where someone was offering to post some dicksonia seedlings but i cant find the post now, i would be very interested?

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 12:10PM
tropicbreezent

On the original query (even though old), it's interesting that here they sell Dicksomia plants as sawn off trunks. They're a "by-product" of timber felling. They gather up the fallen tree ferns, cut off the root base and fronds, and send them to the nurseries. They're piled like logs and kept watered until sold. It's hard to imagine root pruning would bring about their demise, unless you left all the fronds and didn't water. Can't be done with Cyathea species though.

Bookmark   July 13, 2012 at 11:05PM
More Discussions
Foxtail Fern growing, but strangely.
This fall, about 5 or 6 weeks ago, I brought my foxtail...
SequoiaMatt99
Where to purchase Platycerium madagascariense?
I've been growing epiphytes for years but I'm having...
epiphyteoahu808
Doradilla? Fem Scale?
So I was in this Mexican market and found something...
cooperdr_gw
What is this? How do I help it?!
Hello everyone! I have had this sad little fern for...
maineegainer
ID needed: Is this a Rabbit's Foot Fern?
Hi all, I found this nice little fern growing in 1...
bobochacha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™