Dwarf Valencia Orange tree

unneyAugust 1, 2006

I'm new to this forum and am learning a lot. I've had this tree for about 1 month now. There is one branch (definitely above the graft). It starts out dark green with about 2 inch dark green leaves. Then, all of a sudden, it turns light green with much larger 4 inch or so leaves. Is this normal?

Also, one branch, which is thin has a lot of even thinner branches all clumped together. Should these be thinned out?

When can I expect this tree to bear fruit? Also, how are you able to put pictures in your messages? It would help if I could show you what I'm talking about.

Thanks for any help/information anyone can give me. I live in Simi Valley, CA. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
unney

I found out how to do pictures, so here they are.

#1. The tree

#2. The branch with light green, big leaves

#3. The clumps of thinner branches

Bookmark   August 1, 2006 at 9:28PM
rickjames(9 Cali)

Nice tree.

The lighter green leaves are because those leaves are newer/younger and haven't fully colored/matured yet.
They do look kinda big for orange leaves, but you can sometimes see larger leaves from a relative lack of light--just make sure your tree gets as much sunlight as it can. Younger trees will often have sporadic leggy growth. You can trim a bit for cosmesis or pinch tips to encourage fullness but otherwise it's not really necessary.

It seems, from the pictures, that the tree may be planted a bit deeply. In general it's good practice to plant them with the very top of the root/basal flare visible, though very often they will come from the grower planted too deeply as well.

Since it is a grafted tree, you can expect it to flower and possibly fruit this first year--though some people like to remove the very early fruit in the first year or two, to allow the tree to become established and strong. I do not always follow this practice :)

HTH.

Bookmark   August 2, 2006 at 1:12AM
unney

rick: thanks for your response. I appreciate the info. Being in So Cal, will this tree continue to bloom during the winter, then bear fruit next summer? Also, do I fertilize during the winter here? I know other states don't or slow fertilization during the winter. I've seen a "generic" citrus fertilizer, is that good or is there a name brand that's better? Also, I moved it to a much sunnier part of the yard. When I timed it, it was only getting about 4-5 hours of sun a day. A few in the morning and a few in the late afternoon! I didn't realize the roof line was providing shade during the major part of the day! Where it is now, it will get sun from about 10am - 5pm or so. Thanks! :-) Jane

Bookmark   August 2, 2006 at 9:24PM
rickjames(9 Cali)

I don't grow Valencias (not warm enough here for good fruit) so you'll have to look up their seasons... I think they ripen in the summers/early fall but don't quote me...the moral of the story is your tree should be of fruiting age now or shortly since it is a grafted specimen, at least from what I can see in the picture. Some citrus can take a while to ripen, so you'll have to be patient :)

Ah, the fertilize-in-winter-or-not thing...Well, I confess that I do. I find that citrus quite often take off here in the winters and so I do feed lightly....but I also can protect easily from light frost, so that isn't a big problem for me. You're usda 10 so I doubt that is a big issue for you too...what you can do is just withold and see how the tree does. You can also apply a long-acting granules as a trial. The key thing to realize is citrus likes a high nitrogen formula and are kinda sensitive to lack of micronutrients like Fe, Zn, Cu, Mg. etc. so choose something with that stuff in it if you can. I use a combo of long-acting granules ( when I remember to, lol ) and Miracid primarily, with a few elemental supplements when I am not too lazy.

HTH.

Bookmark   August 3, 2006 at 12:53AM
More Discussions
What rootstock should I use on Mineola tangelo to make it dwarf?
What type of roostock should I use to get a dwarf mineola...
luckydurazno1
Need help with finding a Shasta Gold Mandarin Tree
By now I have called every nursery in California and...
Amir Javed
BUGS 17 :-)
HI all 16 had over 300 post so started this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
New Oro Blanco
We hit 99 degrees today and my newly planted Oro blanco...
evdesert 9B Indio, CA
Potted Myers lemon not growing
I have a potted Myers lemon tree which seems to be...
zwoydziak9bsunset13
Sponsored Products
Daredevil 30" High Oval Twist Wall Mirror
Lamps Plus
Ivory & Orange Handwoven Area Rug
$19.99 | zulily
Carambola Pendant by LZF
$1,640.00 | Lumens
Peekaboo Orange Chair
| Dot & Bo
Dexton Deluxe Tow Truck Roadster Pedal Riding Toy - DX-20135
$379.95 | Hayneedle