Normal Growth?

jlmart26August 14, 2012

I just wanted to know if this seems to be kind of growth to expect from a valencia orange transplanted from pot 7 months ago.

3 months after transplanting from pot

@ 7 months after transplanting

Also is it too early for this tree to start putting out blooms or is that due to over watering. I have been watering 2 times a week since we been having 100+ degree weather here in south texas

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Well, your tree shows significant mineral deficiency, most notably iron; but there are likely others keeping the tree from growing as it should. The magic clue is you said South Texas; that likely means your soil has a pH of 8 or higher and at that high pH citrus cannot absorb the minerals it needs from the soil. In addition to maybe a little more balanced citrus fertilizer (it should be fed 3 times per year) find some chelated minerals, especially iron and apply as recommended to the soil. Chelated minerals are a little pricey; but it is the only type your tree can utilize at high soil pH. On top of that I would get some good quality foliar fertilizer with micro nutrients and appy that every 15 days. You should see a notable increase in growth and improved color (darker green) leaves.

Bookmark   August 14, 2012 at 10:35PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma(6b)

mulch, mulch and more mulch. I would add a good 3 or 4 inches thick and if you can find pine that might help a bit with the high PH. Just keep it an inch or two away from the trunk.

In picture 2 it appears you may have a root stock sucker growing. Any thing below the graft needs to cut off.

You soil does look very heavy so I would be very careful of over watering. Mulching will help retain what you give it and eventually it will break down and help loosen the soil.

Mike

Bookmark   August 15, 2012 at 8:37AM
More Discussions
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
citrus tree gratfting 101
I would like to start grafting my own citrus trees....
rj campbell inc
Kumquat :From seed to fruit in one year?
Someone tried to tell me that I can grow a kumquat...
italiangardner
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™