Hello and need help about purchasing plugs

reddogie(5)January 5, 2010

Hi all,

I've enjoyed this forum from afar for about a year or so. We will be in our third year of providing cutflowers for local small grocery markets and some subscriptions.

Although I have always started almost all my seedlings myself,I am realizing that there may be a more practical method (although more costly) i.e. purchasing plugs. I start seedlings under lights in a basement - but I do have two large hoop coldframes and will be adding an even larger one this spring. My need is to get a jump on the sluggish advent of summer here in mid-Maine.

A while back in the archives of this forum was a discussion about plugs and the various companies people used. Since those posts seem to be gone, I would love any help any of you veterans could give to me on how to purchase plugs, where, and if they really make sense.

Finally rested from last year's garden season and I'm getting antsy for the coming year!

Thank you all in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyk

They do if you have a greenhouse to continue them on growing. We've looked at plugs in the past but found that most of what we grow is not offered in plugs. Also you get maybe more than you need for a particular variety. We grow all our plants from seeds . . . more work, but you get what you want and in the quantities you want. In addition we have the space to grow everything from seed, almost 4,000 seedlings. If you are a bigger grower plugs may be the way to grow . . . but I still like the selection from seed and the option to grow as much or as little as you need.

Bookmark   January 6, 2010 at 10:11AM
kitkat_oregon(7)

I love plugs. I love them for stuff that has spotty germination, long germination times and they save time and energy, at least for me. Try Germania Seed, they represent a whole host of suppliers, many with small or no minimums. Some will charge a 19.95 fee for orders under a certain size or amount but then you do have to deal with shipping as well so try to choose vendors who are at least on your side of the continent. The suppliers usually offer a huge selection often with the most up to date 'fashion'flowers. Best of luck. Kat

Bookmark   January 6, 2010 at 7:45PM
bfff_tx(z8b TX)

Hi Reddogies
The main plug growers for annual cut flowers that I've purchased from are:-
Gro N Sell: - Pa
Headstart Nursery - Ca
C. Raker & Sons: - Mi
Plug Connection - Ca
Perennials can also be obtained from above, plus:-
Swift Greenhouse - Ia

Most of these companies will only accept orders through their brokers, so dependent on who you like dealing with, there's : - Germania, Fred C. Gloeckner & Co., Park Seed Wholesale and Harris Seeds.
Cheers Kim
Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

Bookmark   January 15, 2010 at 4:27PM
More Discussions
selling at markets, selling to florists
Hi, I'm wondering if most people sell only flowers...
phlowerpower
Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine in Flower Arrangement?
Will an ornamental Sweet Potato Vine Survive in a floral...
christy51274
Self seeding annuals in zone 4
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has had experience...
greenthumbon1hand
Zinnias - wrong colors and curled petals
I planted a variety of zinnias this year, in raised...
Lily08
Longest-Lasting Flowers for Arrangements?
Any suggestions for long-lasting cut flowers would...
christy51274
Sponsored Products
Tamper-Resistant 3-Module Outlet by Legrand
$4.47 | Lumens
Wall Plate (Real Materials) by Legrand
$29.98 | Lumens
Spiers Sofa in Sunshine Linen
$999.99 | Dot & Bo
Accents Borders & Trims: Hello Kitty Building Materials Easy Expression Red 8
$58.75 | Home Depot
My Little Pretties Mat
Grandin Road