Question about ivy

LullabyF360January 28, 2013

My sister-in-law has a bunch of ivy. I don't know the species, but she bought it some number of years ago. You can imagine that it has now taken over parts of her garden. She plans to cut back the vines to groom things up. She asked me if I knew if ivy could be started from cuttings, & if they could, she would give me what she cuts off. I told her that I have no clue if ivy could be grown that way. I have never heard of it being propagated this way, but then again I am a newbie gardener. I can google things as much as I want, however I prefer the voice of someone who has experience with what I seek to know or would just plain know if it possible. Thanks.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

If the ivy she has is English Ivy, then I think it can be started from cuttings. However, English Ivy is considered a dangerously invasive plant that can destroy native plants by simply growing right over them and smothering them. Birds also eat the seeds and carry them to wild areas where the ivy then grows and out-competes the native plants that our native insects, birds and animals depend on to live. I would make sure you know exactly what it is that you are considering planting. There are other vines that can be grown, such as Virginia Creeper, which is a native and provides protection, food and places for many moths to lay their eggs. Good luck in your gardening.

Martha

Bookmark   February 5, 2013 at 8:01PM
More Discussions
Straw for mulch?
Hello everyone, I am considering using straw for mulch...
Fundybayfarm
Zinnias - wrong colors and curled petals
I planted a variety of zinnias this year, in raised...
Lily08
wedding flower help
1st . I would like to grow calla lollies for daughters...
mohawkmom
White flowers for dappled shade
Looking for white annuals or perennials for under the...
lmsparkie
Avocado tree from seed
If I cut my avocado seed sprout down to 6", will...
ellen1818
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™