Picea glauca 'Daisy's White'

ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5March 28, 2012

is not a true mini.. with growth under one inch ... correct??? whats your best info on growth rate in yoru yard????

i would like to see some pix.. and tell me how much it has grown in the amount of time you have had it

would this be appropriate for my mini bed surrounding my patio .. of which.. i am sure you have seen the pix a couple hundred time

perhaps .. since this isnt a staking issue.. dave wont chew me a new one ..

ken

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ricksample(6)

I think mine grew a little more than 1" last year, I'm going to say around 1.5" give or take a little. This was the picture a few weeks after the spring flush went away. I think the growth rate of 2' x 1' in 10 years should be fairly accurate... it should be ok in your mini bed.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 7:53PM
Sara Malone Zone 9b

Ken, mine was in a #2, was planted 4/10/10 and does not appear to have grown a millimeter. I am between cameras (I have the new one but haven't figured out how to use it; that might happen tomorrow, in which case I'll take a snap) so no photo. I moved it (the Picea, not the camera) last October as the Cercis that was providing it some shade had to come out. Oddly, it was in full sun for a good 2-3 mo and did not burn. Nor did it grow. Very little new growth means very little white. I may rename mine just plain 'Daisy'.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 8:41PM
firefightergardener(7/8)

Faster then one inch here in the Pacific Northwest. I'll see if I can dig up some photos tomorrow. Not 3+ inches or anything but seems to be about 1.5-2 inches.

-Will

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 9:03PM
GrapeSocks(5b (NE IL))

Hey Ken, I hope Whaas will chime in on this one. Mine won't arrive until the end of April, so I can't help you out just yet! The link below has a pic Whaas posted (8th pic down) last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Whaas' Daisy's White

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 9:32PM
ladylotus(Z3/4 ND)

Grapesocks, thanks for the link. I received my order in the mail this week and one of the plants I ordered was Picea glauca 'Daisy White'. The photos with all the cream/white colored new foliage is fantastic and I'm thrilled that I did buy this plant.

Ken, I say go for it. :)

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 10:02PM
whaas_5a(5A SE WI)

Although common, I sure like this cultivar because of its dainty size yet big punch of color. Mine was in part shade and stayed yellow/cream for well over a month. Going through that link reminded me that 'Dent' is one of my favorite cultivars. I looked at is today and it still had nice coloring.

I was thinking about adding 'Rita' as well since she buds later.

Bookmark   March 28, 2012 at 10:13PM
ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5

does it reflush like rainbows end.. and the green ones???

is it 1.5 inches per flush ...

or a total for the year at such??

i realize the root of the issue is the newness of the cultivar.. and that i may not get a fer sure answer ...

ken

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 10:12AM
ricksample(6)

Mine didn't flush twice last year... the only Picea glauca I have that flushed twice is Picea glauca 'Pixie Dust'. It looks like in another week or two and I should be able to get a nice shot of the spring flush.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 11:23AM
dcsteg(5 Shawnee, KS.)

Two different looks.

Flush once a year.

The conical one a Bob Fincham cultivar. It still carries the cultivar name of 'J.W. Daisy White'. Bob's about 1/2 inch a year.

The one on a standard 1 inch a year. It is sheared once a year.

Dave

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 12:25PM
maple_grove_gw

Don't know for sure, but I'd guess that this clone is commonly produced by grafting as well as by rooted cuttings, and that this may influence the growth rate. We could try and correlate the growth rate to the propagation method by a survey of those who own one. But the point is moot since there's not much variation observed in the responses to OP, and everyone seems to agree that it's pretty slow.

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 1:18PM
coniferjoy(z7 The Netherlands)

It will only be produced by cuttings, by grafting will make it only more expensive...

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 2:07PM
firefightergardener(7/8)

Certainly geographical location makes an enormous difference as well. Here in Washington state the last two years my specimens have flushed white in about May and then held that color until later July, at which point they suffered a bit of burn because of our delayed Summers. The first year, one of my specimens in full sun never returned to a fully green state. It was still a beige-green in October. Conifers act very differently here then they do in Wisconsin.

-Will

Bookmark   March 29, 2012 at 2:37PM
mmajicmann(5b)

think of dwarf alberta spruce, add cream flush.

Bookmark   March 30, 2012 at 11:06AM
More Discussions
will Juniperus virginiana 'Grey Owl' cones germinate?
The grey owl juniper has horizontal spreading branches...
tlbean2004
Your opinion - new white pine leader
This white pine was planted last April. The idiots...
johniferous
Pine grafting question
Hi,last year I noticed a particularly lovely dwarf...
gary77788
Metasequoia glyptostroboides "MATTHAEI BROOM"
I would love to hear of your experiences with this...
rouge21_gw
Found this yellow variegation on wild Thuja
Curious everyone's thoughts on this yellow variegation....
fireweed22
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™