Advice for moving an Ostrich fern please...

JustJoeyGirl(z5 NY)September 5, 2005

I am new to this forum, and I don't want to stick around long, for fear of another obsession. That is how I got hooked on hosta. I had a question about dividing one and got hooked. Now I want to move some of my Ostrich fern into my hosta garden and was wondering how and when to do this. I see some of you have mixed opinions on WHEN to do this. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate the advice:

I have six Ostrch fern that spread from the original plant, all a good size, although the fronds are turning brown now from lack of water ( drought here ) I'd like to move three of them to the other garden area..it has sufficient moisture there. How deep do the roots go? how far out do I need to dig....etc?

Is spring or fall better? I'd like to have them looking their best for next year, since I've never moved one, I was wondering how moving them in one season or another affects their "leafing' out. Any advice would be welcome..thank you..JoAnn

(Please, no photos, I'll only get hooked on fern and have to spend time here, ask for sources, empty my bank account, take pictures post them here....ha ha ha...thanks again..JoAnn)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
waplummer(Z5 NY)

I would move them now. I just planted out half a dozen ferns that I bought in the spring and put in a holding bed until now. Plant them at the same depth they are now and give them an extra 2-3 inches on all sides.

Bookmark   September 5, 2005 at 4:39PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
karinl(BC Z8)

Yes ferns can be addictive too but luckily you can't get them as easily as you can Hostas! If you are prone to indoor plants of course there is an extra danger.

I'd first ask whether you're sure you want Ostrich Ferns in any part of a garden, unconfined? They will all keep making babies at the same rate, with pretty arbitrary placement. Lots of other lovely ferns will stay in the places you plant them much better.

As to timing, if I were you I wouldn't take advice from anyone in a higher zone than yours, so won't even make a suggestion!

Bookmark   September 6, 2005 at 5:59PM
More Discussions
Doradilla? Fem Scale?
So I was in this Mexican market and found something...
cooperdr_gw
Rabbit Foot Fern dropping fronds
I have a rabbit foot fern, Davailla sp., that has been...
gill_bo_baggins
Unknown Fern ID
I had this fern sprout in a pot with another plant....
foxd
Deer Ferns have turned "Brown"
I have 2 deer ferns in containers on my shaded deck....
gardenbug
Decidedly Unhappy Moss
Hey all I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Here, we...
JasonFourie514
Sponsored Products
One Minute Art Print
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
WBM Himalayan Lamps Ionic Crystal Sun Globe Salt Lamp (8-10lbs) 1451
$32.22 | Home Depot
Coral Coast Classic 14 x 16 in. Outdoor Toss Pillow - Set of 2 - M003-1-AFS029-S
$32.99 | Hayneedle
Sand-Etched 'Trust Me' Stemless Wineglass - Set of Four
$29.99 | zulily
Island Bay 11 ft. Sage Harbor Stripe Quilted Hammock with Stand - ALZ1141
$169.98 | Hayneedle
Novelty Lamps: Ionic Crystal Natural Salt Basket Lamp - Wide (8-10lbs) 1301
$29.97 | Home Depot
DENY Designs Leah Flores Let's Run Away III Outdoor Throw Pillow - 14894-OTHRP18
$49.00 | Hayneedle
Round Resin Madison Planter - A114080
$59.99 | Hayneedle
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™