Does anyone grow Bear Grass?

kitkat_oregon(7)January 9, 2009

Emerging from the last post, a new subject for consideration. Do any of you grow Bear Grass? Any recommendations as to source, hardiness, ease of growing etc. I want to try some for my floral arrangements. Thanks as always. Kat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowers4u(z6 OR)

Kat - isn't it considered "wild" here in Oregon? I know there are folks like mushroom hunters that collect it.

I use ribbon grass alot, and would love to find other grasses that will survive my winters, but not take a lot of space either. I add heather (not a grass), but has lots of interest in bouquets and blooms at the "odd times".

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 2:38PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitkat_oregon(7)

Hi Wendy, after posting the question, I did a google search and discovered exactly what you said, that it grows right here in the old back yard! Well, not exactly the back yard but close enough. I shall research and see if I can get some started on my property. I understand that it is one of the first plants to take advantage of newly burned areas. Is the flower useful also? I like the shape of the foliage very much.

Is ribbon grass invasive for you?

I hadnt really considered heather for bouquets, do you get a decent stem length. I guess I put heather in same sort of category as heath.

Thanks. Kat

Bookmark   January 12, 2009 at 10:30PM
More Discussions
Ornamental Sweet Potato Vine in Flower Arrangement?
Will an ornamental Sweet Potato Vine Survive in a floral...
christy51274
Avocado tree from seed
If I cut my avocado seed sprout down to 6", will...
ellen1818
Cutting Zinnia's to vase
I have a few basic questions that I could not find...
Lady9
Need help identifying this plant/flower
My wife bought a variety pack of seeds and this plant/flower...
carillon
fovglove tree from seed... advice
Its two months old... ant tips???
missdock-1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™