When to Plant Annuals for Mid-October Bloom - 5B

kyndalmFebruary 17, 2010

Hi All!

I am a new member but have been a frequent reader for some time. Many helpful and knowledgeable individuals!!

We are getting married on October 16th and have decided to grow our own annual flowers for it.

I did some research and have chosen:

-Several types of sunflowers including Burpee's Fun N Sun Hybrid Mix, Chianti Hybrid and Italian White.

- Bachelor Button

- Zinnias including Pinwheel Mix and Cut and Come Again Mix

- Coreopsis

- Verbena

I have also bought the "mega pack" of wildflowers that have many different flowers.

First question is are these wise choices?

Second - any more suggestions?

Third - when in the world should I plant these to have them in good condition for Mid-October? As soon as we're frost free or wait a little later?

Fourth - There is a slight possibility that we might have a frost before our wedding. Will that ruin the whole thing?

THANK YOU DEARLY!!!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
neil_allen(z5/6 Chi IL)

Batchelor button is a good choice because it can take a light frost, and in many parts of 5b the chances of a frost by mid-October are better than slight.

I'd add a mix of double calendula -- the old Pacific Beauty mix would be fine. The flowers are much smaller than sunflowers, but they aren't tiny, they cover some of the color range you're looking for and they're very frost hardy.

You don't have to start either of these early. I'd wait to start the batchelor's buttons until summer, so they won't exhaust themselves by October. The calendula seem to bloom and bloom. Plant a goodly number of each.

You might think of something like a double feverfew to give you a white filler. They're also cold-hardy.

Bookmark   February 18, 2010 at 8:58AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tommyk

Rudbeckias can last well into October. They can take a light frost. Calendulas are very frost hardy, but they need support if you want tall, straight stems. Snapdragons are extremely hardly, in fact they are considered a tender perennial. They are one of my all-time favorites for cutflowers.

Bookmark   February 23, 2010 at 1:42PM
More Discussions
please post your flower arrangement we love to see them
I have an Idea I will post some flower arrangements...
Lorna1949
cold hardy kiwi
looking for a male and female cuttings to start cold...
juststartingout
Zinnia flower heads not growing large as expected
I planted a variety of zinnias this year....smoothies...
tizzylizzyloo
wedding flower help
1st . I would like to grow calla lollies for daughters...
mohawkmom
Wreath Master Machine for SALE!
wreath master machine for sale Ontario Canada. used...
aliross
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™