red-twig dogwood & hello

kristenmarie(Z4-5/New Mexico)February 20, 2006

Hi- I'm curious about red twig dogwood. I know Bryan from this forum grew a lot. My main question is: Does it like to actually have its feet wet, or not quite that wet?

Thanks,

Kristen

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
flowerfarmer

Kristen,
Here in Michigan Red-twig dogwood grows in swamps, streams and wetlands. It is also used for erosion control along the lakeshore. While it is very adaptable to a range of soils and climates, it generally likes it wet, wet, wet. It does well in an area along the edge of our woods that is poorly drained. I think this is actually an old creek bed.

PS Glad you updated that bog of yours!!!

Bookmark   February 21, 2006 at 10:07AM
Jeanne_in_Idaho(z5 N.Idaho)

Hi, Kristen, it's nice to hear your voice (so to speak)!

I have it in several spots that aren't particularly wet, but this is a fairly wet climate, unlike yours. Mine get watered only for two or three months in the summer, when we normally get little to no rain. I don't water regularly or generously, but they never dry out completely deep down. They grow wild here in year-round creekbeds, but also in small roadside ditches that are dry from roughly June to September. The ditch plants don't grow as fast as the creek/bog plants.

Jeanne

Bookmark   February 21, 2006 at 12:37PM
bryan_ut(z5UT)

Kristen, It is good to hear from you. Willow, Dogwood, Birch (river) and Rosehip all like water, just not swimming in it though. I feeling like we are swimming in it. We did 1,000 wreaths and 500 bundles of curlywillow and pussywillow is just starting. If you need more cuttings let me know, or just send a truck. Cutting goes until May.

Bryan

Bookmark   February 21, 2006 at 6:54PM
More Discussions
Peony shaped flowers
I have fallen in love, again, with peony flowers. (...
qbush
Wreath Master Machine for SALE!
wreath master machine for sale Ontario Canada. used...
aliross
Growing zinnias and ranunculus for wedding
Hello, I am planning on growing the necessary flowers...
Logan-Jess
Self seeding annuals in zone 4
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has had experience...
greenthumbon1hand
Cutting Zinnia's to vase
I have a few basic questions that I could not find...
Lady9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™