Poncirus Trifoliata / Fertilizer / August

Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)August 4, 2014

My poncirus trifoliata is outside in a 30 gallon container. I will not be bringing it in until early to mid December. The first killing frost come from mid October to mid November My tree has ended a growth spurt and I want it to harden over for winter

My question is do I stop feeding the tree completely or reduce the amount of feed. I am also wondering if i should use an all around fertilize with not so much nitrogen. Some nursery's suggest that a ratio of 3-4-3 for poncirus trees anyway.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)

Well Steve I start backing my fertilizer down about end of Aug first of Sept. But I stay a lot warmer longer than u do I never really quit fertilizers just only do 1/4 of dose in winter. In summer I feed ever two weeks full doses in winter 1/4 dose every 6 weeks. But with this tree going dormant I would back off to half dose now then to 1/4 then 1/8 and then nothing by the time it goes dormant. Unless you plant on greenhouse or keeping from dormancy this winter. Hope my 2 cents helps.
Trace

Bookmark   August 4, 2014 at 11:13PM
veggie_girl

You're going to leave it out in the frost?

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 9:51PM
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)

Yes. I left PT outside until the temps dropped into the teens. I then took it in and stored it in a basement with a sunless window She busted out in growth next spring about 2 months before last spring frost. I had to move the 200 pound tree several time before I could leave her out permanently. She has grown very well. I have on PT planted in ground. It is important that tender growth has hardened in time for cold.

Bookmark   August 6, 2014 at 10:03PM
meyermike_1micha(5)

Steve, fertilizing depends on how much heat and light your trees will get during the winter, along with soil mix...

I know you keep yours this way, warm and under lights, actively growing. So yes continue to fertilize..

One like me, who subjects them to cold and the mercy of whatever sunlight I can naturally provide would stop by the end of summer...

That is a nice looking tree.

Mike

Bookmark   August 7, 2014 at 9:46AM
More Discussions
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Black Stuff on Lemon Tree - Leaves Curling
What is happening to my pink lemonade lemon? I've...
lekennedy4
Grapefruit Tree fertilizer
Hi everyone. I have a question regarding fertilizer...
Newtster
My lemon tree needs help!
Hello, I recently got a new house with some citrus...
Roderick Agius
Kumquat :From seed to fruit in one year?
Someone tried to tell me that I can grow a kumquat...
italiangardner
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™