Fall Blooms

ouluannie(z3 WI)February 23, 2006

I was wondering if anyone could recommend some annuals for cutting that would still look good at the end of September in my zone. My daughter is getting married (informal ceremony and dinner) and I thought it would be fun, (and cheap!) to grow some of the flowers for informal bouquets myself.

I've been browsing other postings on this forum and saw mentioned succession plantings. Are there certain annuals I can just start late and put out, say, the end of June rather than the beginning?

What do you all use in your fall-ish looking bouquets?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for the help.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Pudge 2b

You'll probably want to pay attention to plants which can tolerate some cold weather or even light frost.

Verbena bonariensis is beautiful in my yard in September and they survive some colder temps surprisingly well. Calendula is another, and they are nicer in cool weather than they are in hot - I was really impressed with their late season display. Any of the Rudbeckia's would also be a good pick. Later sowings of sunflowers may also work, but in my experience they don't particularly care for the cold.

Here's a photo of a mass planting of verbena bonariensis in my yard, photo taken September 29.

Bookmark   February 24, 2006 at 11:00AM
ouluannie(z3 WI)

I was eyeing up those verbenas in the seed catalog, are they easy to start? Beautiful photo BTW. Thanks for the suggestions!

Bookmark   February 24, 2006 at 1:06PM
Pudge 2b

I have best luck with germinating verbena by trying to mimic warm/cool spring weather. I start them indoors, 3 or 4 seeds per cell in 6-cells. I have a grow light setup in the basement which is quite cool (about 50F). I alternate putting the flats on the concrete basement floor, and then on top of the light fixture for bottom warmth. I alternate every day until I see sprouts, then leave them underneath the lights or move them to my little greenhouse. Verbena bonariensis that seeds out in the yard never really amounts to much before heavy frost, I find starting them early works best.

Bookmark   February 24, 2006 at 5:57PM
Jeanne_in_Idaho(z5 N.Idaho)

How about annual asters, also called Chinese asters or Callistephus? Those, along with some late sunflowers, were always my September standbys.

If you won't have frost before the end of September, sunflowers will work, but you'd need to plant them later than usual so they don't bloom too soon.

Here, perennial phlox bloom right into September, but I don't know if they do there.

Hopefully, someone in a climate more like yours will jump in, maybe Trish?

Jeanne

Bookmark   February 27, 2006 at 11:13AM
More Discussions
What (more tropical) flowers to grow in uk
So I want to grow a load of flowers in most of the...
mushibu10
Growing zinnias and ranunculus for wedding
Hello, I am planning on growing the necessary flowers...
Logan-Jess
Cutting Zinnia's to vase
I have a few basic questions that I could not find...
Lady9
planting out hardy annuals
Hey all, was reading recently that it should be safe...
tomlinson04
wedding flower help
1st . I would like to grow calla lollies for daughters...
mohawkmom
Sponsored Products
Fall Day Personalized Pet Mat
Grandin Road
Ranunculus Asiaticum Bulb - Set of 25
$8.99 | zulily
Pink Tiffany Two Light Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
Crestview Collection Flowertique Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Blooming Bulb Harvest Reversible Duvet Cover and Insert Set
Overstock.com