buying seeds on web

tdetrazFebruary 25, 2011

I am fairly new to growing cut flowers to sell and have been pricing sunflowers. They can be quite pricey. I was wondering if there are any good places on the web to purchase good quality, inexpensive seeds.

Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
steve22802(7a VA)

GeoSeeds has great prices and selection but they don't have a fancy catalog; you have to know what you want. Johnny's Select Seeds is good too but more expensive than GeoSeeds.

Bookmark   February 25, 2011 at 9:51PM
thinman(Z5 MI)

Yep, sunflowers are expensive when you have to buy thousands of them, but, as Steve said, GeoSeed has the best prices. Johnny's seems to have the best growing information, and I do buy stuff from them, too, but not sunflowers.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 9:16AM
tdetraz

Thanks for the info. I will check that one out.

Bookmark   February 27, 2011 at 10:19PM
gardengirl77

I would also check out Eden Brothers web site. They sell quite a few flower seeds for cut flower use. They have a few different sunflower varieties like Lemon Queen, Tall Teddy Bear, and Velvet Queen that are under $25.00 for one pound of seed. They also have Cosmos, Larkspur, Queen Ann's Lace, and Zinnias. Their prices are good and they offer free shipping on orders over $50.00. I have bought seed from them before and have been very pleased.

Bookmark   March 1, 2011 at 10:36PM
grannymarsh(z4-5 U.P. MICH)

Use the same seeds that you would buy for the bird feeders. There are a wide variety of sizes and colors mixed in there and it is relatively cheep (pun intended) I started this after lamenting - well, maybe I was fussing/cussing - the low number of seeds in the pkgs and the price. Then I noticed that the squirrels had planted little gobs of sunflowers all over the garden. AND THEY WERE PRETTY.

Bookmark   March 2, 2011 at 10:12AM
More Discussions
White flowers for dappled shade
Looking for white annuals or perennials for under the...
lmsparkie
Zinnias - wrong colors and curled petals
I planted a variety of zinnias this year, in raised...
Lily08
Please recommend cut flowers
I have two spots open in my raised bed for two plants....
mshelenlu
David Austin roses for cutting
Hey helloo community I'm brand new to roses and am...
Clemmielover
Growing zinnias and ranunculus for wedding
Hello, I am planning on growing the necessary flowers...
Logan-Jess
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™