Orange and Green Slimy Mushroom/Fungus?

holly08September 5, 2006

I found a really weird thing in my shady hosta bed. It had two "spikes" each about 1/2" in diameter by 6" long, orange on the bottom part and dark green on the upper inch or so, shaped kinda like a long green bean. The green part was slimy. I went to take a picture the next day and they were deflated and gooey. What was this thing?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Your description sounds like one of the stinkhorn fungi, Mutinus caninus. If not, try again with a different description and we'll see if we can't ID it for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog thingie fungus

Bookmark   September 7, 2006 at 2:19PM
bspofford

You are describing what I cooked for dinner the other night. I thought my husband had wolfed it down, now I know where he threw it!
And Rhizo, just exactly what is a dog thingie? Is this a technical term I never heard in my mushroom club? I call any object a 'thingie' when I forget its name, which happens more often these days.
Seriously, you had me busting a gut on this one....

Barbara

Bookmark   September 19, 2006 at 10:38PM
sharknud

It could be mutinus elegans (Devil's Dipstick).The green slime is the spore mass which smells like rotting flesh . This is what attracts flies to it for spore dispersial.They are very common in wood chip mulch.The egg stage before they pop out of the ground is edible and pretty good.You want to be 100% sure you correctly ID it before eating it.This is the case for any wild mushroom.

Bookmark   May 23, 2007 at 11:08PM
More Discussions
Is this a moss / lichen / ???
Hello all, I picked this (attached picture) up along...
pessimizt
Rabbit Foot Fern dropping fronds
I have a rabbit foot fern, Davailla sp., that has been...
gill_bo_baggins
Asplenum nidus with new fronds or new stems?
Two years ago they gave me two small Asplenium nidus...
Baobab
Bird's Nest Fern with yellowing leaves and white dots
Hi there, We've had our Bird's Nest Fern (Asplenium...
pkozul
Rescuing wilting Holly Fern
I'm struggling to grow my Japanese holly fern in my...
fieldofflowers
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™