Ostrich Fern - Matteuccia struthiopteris

ellenmarie(5)October 16, 2012

I have a small Ostrich Fern that I bought in the Spring from Logees's. I've had it in a pot all Summer and it grew some but not a lot. About 8-10" high at the end of the season. I want to have the fern in a pot so I can have it on my deck. How should I winter it over? It is dying back already. Where do I put it? Thanks for you help in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jclay321(Z6 NY)

It depends on the size of pot. They will survive in a pot but if your weather is below freezing most of winter I would burry pot in ground partially and maybe cover with mulch of some sort.

Don't worry about its first-year size. They don't tend to grow much from their first season. In fact, I think they do most of growth in early spring after the first year. The fall die-back is usual also, especially with younger ones. They are not evergreen.

Overall, Ostrich ferns are pretty hardy and they multiply well. Each fern could produce one or more off-spring by rhizomes each season. Plant your little fern in ground before frost and next year you could start getting additional ones. They will also multiply in a pot if given enough space.
I LOVE ostrich ferns and use them almost like ground cover and accents all around the garden.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ostrich fern is an award winner in my garden

Bookmark   October 20, 2012 at 10:47PM
More Discussions
Growing Boston and Kimberly Ferns in a Greenhouse
Hi! This is my first time posting as well as trying...
ngilland
Rabbit Foot Fern dropping fronds
I have a rabbit foot fern, Davailla sp., that has been...
gill_bo_baggins
Bird's Nest Fern with yellowing leaves and white dots
Hi there, We've had our Bird's Nest Fern (Asplenium...
pkozul
Rescuing wilting Holly Fern
I'm struggling to grow my Japanese holly fern in my...
fieldofflowers
Where to purchase Platycerium madagascariense?
I've been growing epiphytes for years but I'm having...
epiphyteoahu808
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™