Brown Cap and Gills

kjkw(PA 7)October 3, 2011

Might somebody know the ID of this, found growing on a wooded trail in southeastern PA? Thanks.

Ken

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
indiana_ron(6)

Some characteristics remind me of Psathyrella delineata; do some research and see what you think. Ron

Bookmark   October 9, 2011 at 10:39AM
kjkw(PA 7)

Thanks. It certainly does bear a lot of resemblance to Psathyrella delineata, but that seems to grow from the deadwood of hardwoods. This was found growing in the middle of a dirt trail. I see that there are about 400 species of Psathyrella, however, so it certainly could be in that genus.

Bookmark   October 15, 2011 at 12:24PM
KatyaKatya(6)

Spore color is essential here. It looks beaten and maybe even frozen and thawed. It bears a strong resemblance to mushrooms I have seen in trails and they were stressed and even kicked specimens of the stinking Russula group - R. laurocerasii and a couple of closely related species. I know this picture does not look like a Russula but if it had white spores and any kind of characteristic smell, from almondy to dirty socks, that might be it. Psathyrella has dark spores and its stem does not break apart in a chalk-like fashion the way I think I see it in the picture.

Bookmark   January 23, 2012 at 10:31PM
More Discussions
Sphagnum moss update!
Frozen Sphagnum Moss- the tiny bit of purple in there...
cooperdr_gw
Sphagnum moss problem
This happened once before when it got too hot but this...
cooperdr_gw
Deer Ferns have turned "Brown"
I have 2 deer ferns in containers on my shaded deck....
gardenbug
Foxtail Fern growing, but strangely.
This fall, about 5 or 6 weeks ago, I brought my foxtail...
SequoiaMatt99
Rabbit Foot Fern dropping fronds
I have a rabbit foot fern, Davailla sp., that has been...
gill_bo_baggins
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™