Ostrich fern/source and moss question :)

chloeashaOctober 16, 2012

Hi! If I have to break down and order an ostrich fern, has anyone here ever ordered from Well-Sweep? I was thinking to order from there because I have several violets I like on their list. They also have a variety called "Jumbo" which looked intriguing. Out of necessity (balcony only) mine will be in a pot and Jumbo may be a tad tall... but then again I am kind of willing to risk that. Sounds exciting.

Also the moss question-- we have moss that grows in our parking lot in the cracks. The complex is forever trying to kill it semi-annually. I was thinking to re-home it on my balcony since they are so determined to kill it and I just love it. Can't I just carefully lift it and move it into a pot and keep it moist? It should establish eventually, right? I was thinking to use it as an under-planting on a few things.

Thanks guys!

Julianna

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
chloeasha

haha! Sorry if I confused anyone (doubtful yet, as traffic is slow). I meant "The King" for the ostrich fern name. I don't know where I got Jumbo when typing. Silly. :)

Bookmark   October 16, 2012 at 4:36PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
w1ldflower(5)

Hi, Julianne! I found Ostrich Fern spores in an ebay store and grew them myself. Not sure what kind of space you have for indoor growing but I grew them out in my basement under lights and had so many plants I was giving them away by late spring. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Seeds4change_NY eBay store

Bookmark   October 19, 2012 at 7:23PM
More Discussions
What is this? How do I help it?!
Hello everyone! I have had this sad little fern for...
maineegainer
Asplenum nidus with new fronds or new stems?
Two years ago they gave me two small Asplenium nidus...
Baobab
Where to purchase Platycerium madagascariense?
I've been growing epiphytes for years but I'm having...
epiphyteoahu808
Doradilla? Fem Scale?
So I was in this Mexican market and found something...
cooperdr_gw
ID needed: Is this a Rabbit's Foot Fern?
Hi all, I found this nice little fern growing in 1...
bobochacha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™