Just starting out in France

fleursdufourquetMarch 18, 2011

Hi everyone, I just thought I'd introduce myself. We're from the UK but just over a year ago moved to France to "Live the dream" and start growing and selling cut flowers. We're probably trying too many different species and varieties and we probably haven't got enough land under cultivation yet but we wanted to start small. Our first small crop of narcissus sold well at the local garden centre and the aim is to try to keep producing all the way through to the first frosts in November so we're trying more narcissus, dutch iris, alliums, sweetpeas, dahlias, zinnias, sunflowers,statice, ammi, gypsophila, cornflowers, nigella.......told you we're doing too much ! I'll probably have loads of questions as the season gets going so look forward to picking all your brains !

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pitt(IN-Zone5)

Good morning from the Midwest in US! Your list of flowers looks so much like ours. You are already on the right track thinking about "starting small. We have been growing cut flowers for markets for 10 years and started out very small, learned from many sources, including this site, and have increased size and markets each year. We love what we do!

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress. Pitt in Indiana, US

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 6:03AM
thinman(Z5 MI)

Welcome to the group. Although the group isn't as active as it once was, I'm sure that those of us still here would be happy to share what we know. It will be interesting to hear what you are growing and selling.

You can also find a wealth of information by searching in this forum.

ThinMan

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 9:31AM
teresa_b(z6 MO)

I am so happy you joined us. Good luck with your new endeavor and please don't hesitate to post your questions.

Teresa

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 5:29PM
steve22802(7a VA)

Sounds like an exciting project! What part of France are you in? What is the climate like?

Bookmark   March 18, 2011 at 10:19PM
fleursdufourquet

Hi everyone, we're in the south-west, about 1.5 hours north of Toulouse. The summers are warm (80F - 90F)and occasionally hot and can be very dry for a month or so, in winter it gets down to 15F - 20F but not usually for long periods at time. It can get much colder. Spring and autumn are the best times,warm sun and regular rain - wild flowers everywhere and everything grows really quickly (compared to the grey UK)!! Right now the peach trees are in bloom and the cowslips (primula veris) are appearing.

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 4:25AM
diggerdee

Welcome! Ah, I must admit to a bit of jealousy - who wouldn't want to move to the south of France and grow flowers?

Best of luck to you, and we'll see you around the forum!
Dee

Bookmark   March 19, 2011 at 9:42AM
More Discussions
fovglove tree from seed... advice
Its two months old... ant tips???
missdock-1
High temps reducing cuts?
I am in my second year of growing cut flowers for farmers'...
Mike_PP11
selling at markets, selling to florists
Hi, I'm wondering if most people sell only flowers...
phlowerpower
Please recommend cut flowers
I have two spots open in my raised bed for two plants....
mshelenlu
White flowers for dappled shade
Looking for white annuals or perennials for under the...
lmsparkie
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™