Cut flower suggestions for July 25 wedding in Zone 6

bomber(6 MA)March 16, 2009

I would like to offset the flowers we will have at our family's July 25 wedding here in Zone 6 on Northshore of Boston. I would like, rather I would LOVE your help in suggesting flowers I can grow from seeds for cutting. I have lots of perennials and haven't done much with cut flowers before now.

Thank you in advance!

Debbie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
blueberryhills(7 NW AL)

Debbie, sorry no one has responded to your question. I'm not exactly qualified to be giving advice -
I've piddled in flowers almost all my life, but only started growing for market last year.
What kind of flowers are you trying to offset? Is there a particular color scheme you plan to use? I saw something one day this week that had a chartreuse & purple mix - it had a mix of Zinnia 'Envy', Salvia farinacea 'Victoria' and Verbena bonariensis.
As an aside, I also saw a magazine at Hobby Lobby a couple of weeks ago, that was strictly cut flowers for weddings, but I can't remember what publication it was, I want to say it was Better Homes and Gardens or maybe a Martha Stewart publication.
Good luck and congratulations on the wedding! Maybe some of the experts here will have time to chime in before too long.
BBH

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 10:06AM
bomber(6 MA)

blueberryhills, thank you for responding. I will look for the magazine you mention. It may jump out at me at B&N or Borders.

Here is the color scheme my DIL, the bride has requested. Sadly no blues and purples (my favs but not my wedding :-)).

She is thinking white of course. A full range of pinks from light to dark and then pinks veering into orangeish colors like coral, apricot, peach, salmon etc. and maybe light yellows.

Thanks again for your response. I'm looking forward to trying my hand at growing cut flowers.

Bookmark   March 20, 2009 at 10:15AM
all_bout_flowers

I'm not sure what your zone is there but you might check into Cosmos, sweet peas, godetia, clarkia, annual scabosia, marigolds, calendula, batchlor buttons, larkspur, zinnias, queen ann's lace all are easy to grow from seed.

Bookmark   March 22, 2009 at 8:04PM
More Discussions
planting out hardy annuals
Hey all, was reading recently that it should be safe...
tomlinson04
Need help identifying this plant/flower
My wife bought a variety pack of seeds and this plant/flower...
carillon
fovglove tree from seed... advice
Its two months old... ant tips???
missdock-1
Zinnia flower heads not growing large as expected
I planted a variety of zinnias this year....smoothies...
tizzylizzyloo
Longest-Lasting Flowers for Arrangements?
Any suggestions for long-lasting cut flowers would...
christy51274
Sponsored Products
Whitaker Envelope Pillow with Cord
$140.00 | FRONTGATE
Morning Camp Stool
| Dot & Bo
Thermostatic Shower System, Round Apron Head & Ceiling Arm & Handset
Hudson Reed
Naples Red Chandelier by Elements
$138.00 | Bellacor
Safavieh Handmade Cambridge Moroccan Navy Traditional Wool Rug (4' x 6')
Overstock.com
Creme Shade with Gold Flower Trim 7x16x12 (Spider)
$89.99 | Lamps Plus
Black Matte 2.5-Qt. Ceramic Covered Saucepan
$14.99 | zulily
Laura Ashley Lamp Shades Charlotte 6.25 in. Cream Pinched Pleat Clip Shade
$21.00 | Home Depot
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™