What kind of moss is this?

danesnpits(2a)November 30, 2013

It was in a bag, dried. I soaked it in water and it seemed to come alive. Now what to do with it. I am not sure what it is, but it did say sphagnum sheet moss on the bag. When I googled sphagnum sheet moss I couldn't find a thing. I have this indoors. Anyone who can clearly identify this moss, and some good uses for it please let me know.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Looks like sphagnum moss for sure but there are many kinds . Sphag is used extensively for a potting material mostly for orchids , some types of carniverous plants usually dead, but can be used alive . gary

Bookmark   December 2, 2013 at 2:55AM
danesnpits(2a)

I made the buttermilk slurry out of this and spread it over a very large rock..It's inside, wonder if this will grow onto it?

Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 6:48AM
danesnpits(2a)

Hi Gary, well I went and did a slurry with this stuff, with buttermilk then smeared it all over a huge rock in my living room. Will it grow?

Bookmark   December 4, 2013 at 10:26AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

hi
My guess would be no as MOSt sphagnum mosses are aquatic, growing in areas of very low pH often called "peat bogs" Since there are a gazillion types of mosses and dozens of kinds of Sphagnum mosses it's difficult to guess lol. Most of the commercial sources are harvested from standard "peat bogs" if you know the source of your moss
would help to identify it . Famous sources are New Zealand,Peru and most famous Ireland Obviously very different types ??lol You might google "Sphagnum" or peat bogs Good luck with your experiment!! gary

Bookmark   December 7, 2013 at 5:06AM
lycopus(z5 NY)

I don't see anything that looks like Sphagnum in that pic. Appears to be one or more pleurocarpous mosses.

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 9:09AM
danesnpits(2a)

The package it came in said it was grown in Saskatchewan, Canada, where I live actually.

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 10:29AM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
There you go . i use a lot of Canadian peat to beef out my florida sand but have never tried to grow it just tropical sphags but then only as potting material
You might google the Id of Lycopus for some clueslol gary

Bookmark   December 11, 2013 at 5:42AM
More Discussions
Rabbit Foot Fern dropping fronds
I have a rabbit foot fern, Davailla sp., that has been...
gill_bo_baggins
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this but excited to learn more. I was...
momo034
Unknown Fern ID
I had this fern sprout in a pot with another plant....
foxd
Rescuing wilting Holly Fern
I'm struggling to grow my Japanese holly fern in my...
fieldofflowers
Type of wood for growing shitake mushrooms
Hi, I ordered a bunch of mushroom plugs (shitake) from...
mooserider
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™