Personal Cutting Garden

wolfpackfan(z7 Raleigh, NC)March 31, 2006

Hello all - I've read some recent post in this forum and most of you seem like Professionals... So I'm sure you will have some suggestions and advice for me!

I love fresh cut flowers (who doesn't). I want to start a bed for myself that was my own little cutting garden.

I was thinking about making a rasied bed. Is that necessary? I have bought some seed and have started a few indoors but waiting for last frost to start most of them outside. If I don't get my raised bed made before i'm ready to start... how do i plant seed in my other garden beds. They have several inches of mulch. and I know most seeds like to be just barely covered.

Any advice or suggestions? (did I make any sense? :) )

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jeanne_in_Idaho(z5 N.Idaho)

Whether you need a raised bed is dependent on your soil. If it drains well, you don't necessarily need a raised bed. Are your other plants in raised beds, and if not, how are they doing?

I wouldn't try to plant seeds in several inches of mulch. You could remove the mulch from where you'll start seeds, but keep in mind that the seedlings will need good light to start out, so if they're in the shade of the established plants, and/or competing with the other plants' roots, they'll have an uphill battle. They'll need a good, nourishing, well-drained, non-crusted soil, too. Starting them indoors is a LOT easier.

Jeanne

Bookmark   March 31, 2006 at 12:01PM
More Discussions
selling at markets, selling to florists
Hi, I'm wondering if most people sell only flowers...
phlowerpower
Peony shaped flowers
I have fallen in love, again, with peony flowers. (...
qbush
White flowers for dappled shade
Looking for white annuals or perennials for under the...
lmsparkie
Zinnia flower heads not growing large as expected
I planted a variety of zinnias this year....smoothies...
tizzylizzyloo
Cutting Zinnia's to vase
I have a few basic questions that I could not find...
Lady9
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™