Anyone marketing polianthes

kitkat_oregon(7)March 29, 2012

Is anyone growing and selling these successfully in zones lower than 8? I have been toying with this idea as my flowers are racing in the direction of fragrance. Most of the things that I have read indicate really high mortality and even total failure but I'm willing to give them a shot if anyone has anything encouraging to tell me. Thanks. Kat

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
kitkat_oregon(7)

I'll just move this along. They are probably too high maintenance anyway. Kat

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 8:16PM
steve22802(7a VA)

I planted some tuberose last spring and got lots of leaves but few flowers. I dug and stored half the bulbs and I left half in the ground with a thick mulch of leaves. I've been poking around under the mulch and it appears that the bulbs survived ok. I will plant the stored bulbs soon too and it will be interesting to compare performance between the two sets. My guess is that the bulbs left in the ground will bloom earlier and have more flower stalks but only time will tell for sure.

You should get a small quantity and give them a try yourself. Plant them in very well drained soil and mulch heavily in the fall and I think you will be able to overwinter them in the ground. Note that they do have tall heavy flower stalks so make sure to give them some support.

Bookmark   April 5, 2012 at 10:43PM
kitkat_oregon(7)

Hi Steve, thanks for the input. I might try these next year, right now I am diving headlong into oriental and LO lilies. Kat

Bookmark   April 14, 2012 at 3:47PM
all_bout_flowers

Kat,

I bought some bulbs this year to give them a try. I am like you and want to experiment with new plants for fragrance. I also sprang for some fressia this year both very expensive and I'm not sure how they will winter over. I planted them in bulb crates and have them in my greenhouse. Another plant you probably already grow is Stock. I have had a great germination rate with my seeds I am hoping for a great flood of flowers.

Bookmark   April 15, 2012 at 11:22AM
kitkat_oregon(7)

I grew stock a few years ago and enjoyed it, make sure you stake it, I found that without support and the fatness of the stems that they fell over and then did the 'head up for the sun' thing and made the stems hard to work with but they were lovely. Where did you buy your polianthes, and were they the doubles or the singles? I got some great pricing from Gloekner but the qtys were high. Keep me posted please as to how you do. Good Luck, Kat

Bookmark   April 16, 2012 at 4:29PM
bfff_tx(z8b TX)

Kat
You can get the single Mexican Tuberose from Ednie, good size tubers and priced very reasonably $ 128 for 200. I find the shipping from them is a bit cheaper that Gloeckner's too. Many ASCFG growers in zones lower than 8 grow them, so you shouldn't have a problem. They like moisture and are heavy feeders.
Cheers - Kim
Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

Bookmark   April 21, 2012 at 3:23PM
More Discussions
White flowers for dappled shade
Looking for white annuals or perennials for under the...
lmsparkie
please post your flower arrangement we love to see them
I have an Idea I will post some flower arrangements...
Lorna1949
Bright Light Cosmos Never Again
This is the second year in a row that my bright light...
weld
Self seeding annuals in zone 4
Hello! I was wondering if anyone has had experience...
greenthumbon1hand
High temps reducing cuts?
I am in my second year of growing cut flowers for farmers'...
Mike_PP11
Sponsored Products
Vintage Reproduction Hawaii United Air Art Print
| Dot & Bo
Fanimation | Zonix Ceiling Fan
$319.00 | YLighting
New Hand Knotted Wool Runner Balouch Ivory Medallion Blue Background Rug P230
BH Sun Inc
New Geometric European Navy Blue Balouch Runner 3x10 Hand Knotted Wool Rug P835
BH Sun Inc
Modern Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs Candice Olson Beige 8 ft. x 11 ft.
Home Depot
Worth Digging Spade with Plastic-Steel Handle - W2200
$32.99 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Surya Rugs Candice Olson Winter White 8
Home Depot
Designers Fountain 83689 Castello 9 Light Chandelier in Tuscana Finish Multicolo
$638.00 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™