Growing Shrooms Indoors

Pongalong(4/5?)November 2, 2012

Hey, I need some help. I want to start growing mushromms indoors. I need advice on getting started and maintaining my crop. I do not want to break the bank buying a mushroom kit. I am a frugal gardener and would like to start my own shrooms. Any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
olympia_gardener(5)

No, You don't have to buy a mushroom kit if you have substrate material on hand. I recommend a starter mushroom... the Oyster mushroom which will grow on wheat straw , paper, coffee grind, cardboard, etc.
You need to buy spawn... search internet on oyster mushroom spawn. Mix sterilized substrate material and spawn together and put them in a plastic bag in the dark, then forget about it for a month or so. When the substrate covered by moldy white... that is mushroom growing... good sign. Take the bag out of the dark, Cut a few slot on the bag to increase air flow and mist if the substrate is too dry. The mushroom will pop up.

Bookmark   November 7, 2012 at 4:24PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Edymnion(7a)

I'm growing my first indoor mushrooms as well (the glow in the dark kind). The above is pretty much exactly what I did after reading the instructions.

I drilled into my hardwood substrate, inserted the pre-innoculated plugs, put it in a rubbermaid container with the lid closed along with enough water to keep the wood moist, and set it in the corner for a month and a half or so.

I now have it spreading across the wood, and I've gotten a cheap aquarium to turn into a terrarium to let it grow in on a shelf to show it off.

The terrarium should help keep the humidity levels high enough for it to stay happy.

Bookmark   December 10, 2012 at 3:42PM
More Discussions
Platycerium madagascariense updates
Just showing a few forms of this interesting group...
RainforestGuy
What is this? How do I help it?!
Hello everyone! I have had this sad little fern for...
maineegainer
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this but excited to learn more. I was...
momo034
Platyceriums for a cool, but frost-free climate?
Hi, I'm just curious whether people have suggestions...
mark4321_gw
Looking for unusual Maidenhair Ferns
Can anyone help me find a good reliable source (US)...
atravers
Sponsored Products
Camaflexi Arch Spindle Headboard Twin over Twin Low Bunk Bed with Angle Ladder -
$853.51 | Hayneedle
Kettler Rimini Multi-Position High Back Arm Chair
$481.95 | LuxeDecor
Kettler Tiffany 16-Position Arm Chair
$750.33 | LuxeDecor
Access Lighting Quada Energy Star Bar Pendant Assembly 52027 - 36W in. - 52027-B
$230.00 | Hayneedle
Artcraft Lighting Malibu Black Outdoor Post Mount Light
$140.00 | LuxeDecor
Euro Style Bunny Natural Dining Side Chair (Set of 4)
$529.00 | LuxeDecor
Lifestyle Solutions Olin Accent Chair - Venizia Opal - CH-OLN-U5-VP
$112.92 | Hayneedle
8 in. Round Mesh Bottom Pot - Bag of 50 Multicolor - HG8MESHPOT
$80.22 | Hayneedle
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™