Sadlera cyatheoides

houstonpat(9a)November 13, 2007

Can anyone confirm my identification of this guy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stephenpope2000uk(Brighton, UK)

Yes, you've definitely got a Sadleria there at last, Pat. But even though the overwhelming probability is that it is indeed S.cyatheoides, we'd need to see more photos to eliminate the faint possibility it's one of the other five species in this Hawaiian genus. Can you post an overall shot of the plant, a close-up of the topside of a pinna, plus a tighter crown/stipe view as well?

But it's good news you've found a Sadleria. How did you manage to track one down, Pat?

Bookmark   November 14, 2007 at 4:06AM
houstonpat(9a)

Will get those photos on soon. Well, I didn't get a plant. I only got the spore. Went to the source. High rainforest on the Big Island of Hawaii. I couln't find any Sadleria in nurseries there and wasn't equiped to saw one off, transport it etc.

Bookmark   November 14, 2007 at 3:13PM
houstonpat(9a)

More pics from the area.

Bookmark   November 14, 2007 at 7:57PM
stephenpope2000uk(Brighton, UK)

Uttlerly fantastic photos, Pat - the best I've ever seen for this lovely species. That's screamingly right for Sadleria cyatheoides - you've nailed it at last. I know it's a Blechnum-like Hawaiian genus all of its own, but I like to think of Sadleria as a 'pocket' Cibotium and maybe the most realistic and convenient way for most of us temperate types to get into this style of fern. I just love 'em!

Bookmark   November 15, 2007 at 4:28AM
houstonpat(9a)

Many thanks Stephen. Just trying out my new camera on a trip last week. I'll post more photos of in situ ferns this weekend.

Bookmark   November 15, 2007 at 6:06PM
stanofh

Pat,on the cloudforest.com plantboard,scroll down to 'tropical Portrero Hill garden' and in the fourth photo behind a gunnera is a 22 year old Sadleria growing outdoors in cool San Francisco-it's enormous for a plant that took low 20's in 1990 and about freezing in 98 and possibly the this last winter.

Bookmark   November 17, 2007 at 11:15AM
plantfreak(z9aKyushuJapan)

WOW! WOW! & WOW!

Those are just fantastic Pat. I guess that blows away the notion these are "small" ferns.

(did I say wow!?)

PF

Bookmark   November 19, 2007 at 7:36AM
More Discussions
Can someone help me ID this fern?
Hi, I purchased this fern 2 years ago from eBay. They...
odysseos
Platycerium madagascariense updates
Just showing a few forms of this interesting group...
RainforestGuy
Platyceriums for a cool, but frost-free climate?
Hi, I'm just curious whether people have suggestions...
mark4321_gw
ID needed: Is this a Rabbit's Foot Fern?
Hi all, I found this nice little fern growing in 1...
bobochacha
Unknown Fern ID
I had this fern sprout in a pot with another plant....
foxd
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™