Growing moss in an indoor container

lachelsaNovember 14, 2008

Hi everyone,

I'm new to this site. I don't know a lot about gardening, but I really enjoy growing a variety of plants (mostly indoors), and they tend to live...

Moss really appeals to me, and I'd like to try to grow it a small planter indoors. Does anyone have any advice for me? What kind of moss would be best for a small planter in an indoor environment? I don't think I've ever seen small portions of live moss for sale at a nursery, so where could I go to purchase some? (I live in the Nashville area, if anyone's from around here.) Also, is there any kind of moss that grows small yellow flowers? I don't know if it's considered a "true moss" in that case; but it's really just the look I'm going for, rather than the technicalities.

Thanks for helping out a complete novice! I tried doing some research online but didn't come up with much.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrestrial_man(9)

Most commercially available terrestrial mosses are not suitable for indoor cultivation. The main reason is that they really do best with humidity and a cool temperature range from the mid 60sF down into the low 40sF. However, there are some tropical mosses available but then you still have the issue of humidity and providing a cool down at night for them (down into the upper 50sF).
But there is a group of aquatic to semi-aquatic mosses that can serve your purpose and will do quite well in a planter that this partially filled with distilled, rain, or r/o water. The most common one is called Java Moss.
Will growing in water the moss will grow out onto any nearby surfaces, such as a piece of wood.
Mosses do not flower but there is another aquatic plant that may be found on the net at a water plant retailer caller Bladderwort. Since the plant is a carnivorous plant it may also be found under Carnivorous plant retailers. There are several species. To get it to flower you really need to provide adequate light. Check the link below for a couple of images. These flowers are very tiny!

Here is a link that might be useful: Common bladderwort

Bookmark   November 15, 2008 at 12:55AM
More Discussions
selling moss
I have been picking moss for a well sized moss distributor...
trista28
Sphagnum moss update!
Frozen Sphagnum Moss- the tiny bit of purple in there...
cooperdr_gw
Platyceriums for a cool, but frost-free climate?
Hi, I'm just curious whether people have suggestions...
mark4321_gw
Decidedly Unhappy Moss
Hey all I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Here, we...
JasonFourie514
Where to purchase Platycerium madagascariense?
I've been growing epiphytes for years but I'm having...
epiphyteoahu808
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™