Echinacea 'Doppelganger' vs 'Doubledecker'

butterflylion(7bGA)March 31, 2005

Hi everyone. I oredered Echinacea 'Doppelganger' from Jackson & Perkins, but they are sold out. I am disappointed that I won't be getting these. Has anyone grown these or 'Doubledecker'? Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
phylrae(z5a/centralNYS)

Butterflylion,
I have 3 plants from J & P I've had for one season. I liked them, but they definitely didn't look as good as the ones on the J&P photo! Maybe it'll take a few years. Some of them had a few funky little tassle thingees going on on top of their regular petals. But it didn't look like they were sure whether they knew whether they were supposed to be there or not! LOL They are cool, but the J&P advertising is a little deceptive. Like I said, maybe it'll take a few years. If I could find seeds, I'd probably grow more from seed. Phyl

Bookmark   April 1, 2005 at 5:14AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lmturner(6 TN)

I just found this information from White Farm:

In its trip back and forth across the Atlantic, this Midwestern native, the purple Coneflower of our tallgrass prairies, has taken on a unique cosmopolitan polish. Sometime during its expatriation in a German garden, 'Doppelganger' sprouted a second circle of petals that pops like a parasol from the tip the flower's orange-brown, central cone.
Typically, this intriguing performance doesn't take place until the second year after transplanting. In the meantime, though, you'll come to appreciate this Coneflower's compact growth, its tolerance for drought, and its long season of bloom (from June to August). At home in almost any well-drained soil, in sun or partial shade.

Bookmark   May 5, 2005 at 3:46PM
More Discussions
Zinnia flower heads not growing large as expected
I planted a variety of zinnias this year....smoothies...
tizzylizzyloo
planting out hardy annuals
Hey all, was reading recently that it should be safe...
tomlinson04
What (more tropical) flowers to grow in uk
So I want to grow a load of flowers in most of the...
mushibu10
selling at markets, selling to florists
Hi, I'm wondering if most people sell only flowers...
phlowerpower
Peony shaped flowers
I have fallen in love, again, with peony flowers. (...
qbush
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™