Need help learning how to 'pinch' to make bushier

phylrae(z5a/centralNYS)March 12, 2010

I am embarrassed to say that because I am a hands-on visual learner & have nobody near me who can teach me in person, I have not yet learned the art of "pinching" (not deadheading, but "pinching" new plants which I grow from seed, in order to make them bushy & more productive).

Is there any visual resource online (online video would be even better!) I tried to find one on youtube but only came up with some lame videos about growing marijuana!! Or can someone describe in detail how to do this and when?

I understand that it is probably much like how I disbud a rose cluster by removing either the terminal (middle) bud in order to make the others all bloom together, or disbud the lateral buds in order to get one large bloom....but somehow I can't figure out how to do this on a zinnia, calendula, rudbeckia, gaillardia, sunflower or whatever else I want to grow! Thanks for any guidance!

:0) Phyl

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
irene5020

I'd like to tag along on this posting as I am interested in the same information. I just started working on a farm where I will be maintaining and cutting flowers for bouquets to sell at the farm stand. I would like to expand on Phyl's question, if I may, not only on how do you pinch properly but which flowers require pinching and which ones don't. Does anyone know of a good book or other resource. Thank you, Phyl, for asking this important question. irene

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 6:52PM
phylrae(z5a/centralNYS)

Irene...so glad you are tagging along on this one...I thought I was probably the only person on this forum who didn't know how to do this! :0) Phyl

Bookmark   March 14, 2010 at 7:27PM
ashley_plant_addict(Zone 8)

I too need to learn how to do this. I have pinched many seedlings to find I pinch too hard and snap the stem...leading to a dead seelding. Argh. I hope someone answers soon. Possibly, if no one does I might ask on the container forum.

Ashley

Bookmark   March 15, 2010 at 12:20PM
bfff_tx(z8b TX)

Phyl
you got it, pinch out the terminal flower stem. Make sure there are some leaf sets (2/3) left below where you pinch so the laterals will develop.
Cheers - Kim
Billabong Fresh Flower Farm

Bookmark   March 20, 2010 at 11:13PM
blueberryhills(7 NW AL)

There's a good post on the Cottage Garden forum about pinching

Here is a link that might be useful: GardenWeb

Bookmark   March 21, 2010 at 12:24PM
phylrae(z5a/centralNYS)

Thanks, blueberryhills! :0) Phyl

Bookmark   March 23, 2010 at 5:35AM
More Discussions
White flowers for dappled shade
Looking for white annuals or perennials for under the...
lmsparkie
Straw for mulch?
Hello everyone, I am considering using straw for mulch...
Fundybayfarm
Zinnia flower heads not growing large as expected
I planted a variety of zinnias this year....smoothies...
tizzylizzyloo
please post your flower arrangement we love to see them
I have an Idea I will post some flower arrangements...
Lorna1949
David Austin roses for cutting
Hey helloo community I'm brand new to roses and am...
Clemmielover
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™