2 questions about Sweet Annie

carinb(6b)March 28, 2008

For those who have worked with this plant and grown it before, I have 2 questions.

1). How good is it REALLY for wreath making? (Does it hold up well over time? Does it drop stuff on the floor?)

2). Once planted in the ground, how aggressively does it re-seed itself in following years?

I appreciate any advice you can give me. I would like to buy a wreath making machine in the late summer to extend my market season and wanted to know if this plant is a "must-have" for wreath making or not so much.

Carin

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ghoghunter

Well I don't know about the wreath part but I can tell you it reseeded all over my garden the one year I had it. It was EVERYWHERE!!! So for me it was an aggressive reseeder!
Joann

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 2:58PM
maplea(coast BC)

I grew sweet annie a couple of years ago, and the wreaths I made from it (mixed with statice) are fine--nothing dropping, but they do go completely brown. They look very nice though. I have had some reseeding, in my garden, but nothing that is out of control, and unmanageable. It is a good filler for wreaths, I found, as the plants are huge and productive , over 6'.
Maplea

Bookmark   March 30, 2008 at 10:15PM
bryan_ut(z5UT)

Carin a better plant if you are looking for something for wreaths is Artemsia silver king. I quit growing sweet annie and only grow silver king for wreaths and dried bouquets. As a perennial it is hard to beat and is easy to harvest, also is great habitat for praying mantis, so becareful when harvesting.

Bryan

Bookmark   March 31, 2008 at 10:00AM
More Discussions
please post your flower arrangement we love to see them
I have an Idea I will post some flower arrangements...
Lorna1949
What (more tropical) flowers to grow in uk
So I want to grow a load of flowers in most of the...
mushibu10
planting out hardy annuals
Hey all, was reading recently that it should be safe...
tomlinson04
Avocado tree from seed
If I cut my avocado seed sprout down to 6", will...
ellen1818
selling at markets, selling to florists
Hi, I'm wondering if most people sell only flowers...
phlowerpower
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™