Injured Kumquat, help!!! Can I save/root the injured part???

stephen90September 22, 2010

One of the branches of my Kumquat was bumped into and split nearly off, just sort of hanging there. After panicking, I pushed it back onto the tree where it's being held with light tape but I doubt it will heal. Will it? Can I remove and root the limb? Its a small limb, thinner than a pencil and a bit smaller than the palm of my hand with leaves included, and pictures of the tree are in my other thread on this page. Any help is appreciated!!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bonechickchris(7A/6B NJ 08731)

I am not a pro here, so I would wait for one of the pro's to answer, however I did have a similar situation once with my ponderosa lemon tree.
I had a split once too. Since the poor thing was young and only had 3 limbs, I did not want to remove it, so I went out, and got some of that tree wound dressing ( looks like black tar) and painted that all over it, and then took that green stretchy plant tie instead of tape ( it is cheap and unlike tape, it is more breathable)and used that to hold it together. The limb eventually connected itself back together after a while and years later, it is a now a main large branch to my tree!

I am sure you could also remove it and try to root it also. You may have a 50/50 on that.

But like I said, this is just a personal experience, and you may want to wait for one of the pros here to chime in! Good luck! Christy

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 11:33AM
displacer(6)

If you match up the cambium exactly and tape it tightly (with floral tape, not scotch tape) it may heal. If it's a jagged rip this may be difficult or impossible, but it may be worth a shot.

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 5:20PM
ashleysf(9 San Jose,CA)

Citrus can grow a lot each season. So, if I were you, I would just cut off the broken branch and try to root it with some rooting hormone in a container filled with perlite as an experiment - if it succeeds, you got yourself another tree! The original Kumquat tree will replace the broken branch eventually.

Bookmark   September 22, 2010 at 10:39PM
More Discussions
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Leaf drop question, meyermike, johnmerr, or all expert advice please
I've been watching one of my two meyer lemon tree's...
stickstring (Northern California 8b)
Citrus maxima flower buds?
When should I start fertilizing pomelos?
coconutman
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
The whole Citrus Gang on the back deck....
Brought all the Citrus outside today for a good Neeming...! I...
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™