dying indoor ferns.... how to save if possible

vermontlove(4)December 28, 2012

I received two unknown ferns from a friend, just basically ripped out of her fern tub. They were doing ok til I put them in the bathroom, where I thought they would enjoy the constant moisture from the daily shower. However, they dried right up and they may be dead. I watered them faithfully but I would like to know if ferns have good roots enough that they might spring back. Perhaps they were just too shocked at the transplant, but they seemed to do ok for a week or so, then quickly went downhill. One, the one with bigger leaves, dropped many of its leaves. Has anyone experienced this and had a fern come back to life? How did you do it? Thanks

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tropical_thought(San Francisco)

Maybe they have too much moisture? What kind of mix where they in? Ferns can be very fussy. When they go downhill, they probably won't come back. Where they outdoor plants to begin with? What type of ferns, and post a photo if you want.

Bookmark   January 8, 2013 at 11:51AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
poaky1

This is an old post, but I can grow ferns outdoors, but indoors, it doesn't fail, they dry up or get fungus gnats. I can't get the happy medium. They seem to need moist air and heat/ AC takes that out. I can't speak for your home, but mine isn't fern friendly obviously.

Bookmark   June 4, 2013 at 1:51AM
More Discussions
Bird's Nest Fern with yellowing leaves and white dots
Hi there, We've had our Bird's Nest Fern (Asplenium...
pkozul
Rabbit Foot Fern dropping fronds
I have a rabbit foot fern, Davailla sp., that has been...
gill_bo_baggins
What is this? How do I help it?!
Hello everyone! I have had this sad little fern for...
maineegainer
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this but excited to learn more. I was...
momo034
Platyceriums for a cool, but frost-free climate?
Hi, I'm just curious whether people have suggestions...
mark4321_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™