Newbie, need insight into ferns

andyandy(6bMI)December 27, 2007

I am looking to incorporate ferns into my landscaping in the spring. I have a few questions. Are there ferns I can start from spores indoors during the winter or should I just buy some in the Spring? What ferns will do well in a non-sandy clay and dirt soil? I've seen some really attractive lilac coloured ferns in Plant Delights cataloge that say they are zone 6 (Is that true). I am looking for ferns that will do well in full sun and ones that will do well with virtually no direct sun (my house faces north and I have a giant maple tree so the front landscaping gets little to no direct sun. I would appreciate any and all suggestions.

thanx,

Andy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrestrial_man(9)

Andy,
Why don't you begin with finding out what kind of native ferns you have in your area. And then research their habitat of occurrence to see just what ones would be good for your locations.
Below is a link that lists the ferns that you might enjoy.

For full sun the Osmunda might be good but require an acidic and boggy situation-something that is easily accomplished.

Here is a link that might be useful: Listing of Michigan plants used as roadside plants

Bookmark   December 27, 2007 at 4:42PM
georgia-rose

Growing ferns from spores is a rather lengthy process, unlike seed plants. Check the process outlined on the link below.
If you want to plant them in the garden next spring, I would suggest checking your local box stores or you may want to place an order online. There are several nurseries that offer a wide selection of hardy ferns, such as Bigdipperfarm.com, that offers about 125 selections, most of which would be hardy for you. Fancyfronds.com, owned by Judith Jones and Foliagegardens.com owned by Sue Olsen, both recognized experts in their field.
I have purchased plants from Big Dipper Farm and Fancy Fronds and have been well satisfied with their quality and prices. I have not had experience with the nursery you mentioned, their plant prices/S&H costs have always sent me searching for alternative sources.

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Ferns from spores

Bookmark   December 27, 2007 at 6:15PM
andyandy(6bMI)

Thank you both for the information. I will start reading up.

Bookmark   December 28, 2007 at 8:33AM
More Discussions
Platyceriums for a cool, but frost-free climate?
Hi, I'm just curious whether people have suggestions...
mark4321_gw
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this but excited to learn more. I was...
momo034
Platycerium madagascariense updates
Just showing a few forms of this interesting group...
RainforestGuy
Do I need to trim back ferns?
Hi, I live in NW Georgia and we recently had a couple...
bevinga
Can someone help me ID this fern?
Hi, I purchased this fern 2 years ago from eBay. They...
odysseos
Sponsored Products
Marina Economy Algae Scrubber - 11017
$19.99 | Hayneedle
Marina Easy Clean Water Changer 25 ft. Hose - 11040
$84.99 | Hayneedle
Marina Algae Magnet Cleaner - 11021
$21.99 | Hayneedle
Marina Deluxe Floating Thermometer with Suction Cup - 11204
$19.99 | Hayneedle
Marina Multi-Vac Battery Powered Cleaner - 11004
$41.99 | Hayneedle