honey mushrooms? :(

KrakenQueen(8b, Savannah GA)December 2, 2013

These were popping up in several areas of the back yard, more specifically at the base of our holly which, out of three beautiful trunks when we bought the house, 2 were already on their way out. The first was dead dry in the center and easy to cut. The bark had peeled off and cracked all the way around to about 5' up. About two months ago we had to cut off the second gorgeous trunk as it went the same way as the first.

I'm worried this is caused by the honey mushrooms. Not only was the holly looking drab when we bought the place, but we also had three already dead or dying trees that we took out. Same thing, cracked dry trunks with peeling bark.

If it's the mushroom, which I highly suspect, is there anything I can do to get rid of them? Anything I can so to save the last holly trunk? Is it too late?

(Note: at the moment we are tight on $$, so an arborist is out.)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Call to see if there is someone with Chatham County extension sercice who will take a look at your pictures. You might also try the Savannah Tree foundation or the Urban Forester with the City.

I also suspect that these are 'honey mushrooms '. But you need to understand that those mushrooms are not the actual problem but merely the fruiting body of the real problem which is a parasitic root rot Armillaria fungus often called shoe string root rot.

Getting rid of the mushrooms will do absolutely nothing to cure the disease nor to prevent it spreading. Infected trees and woody shrubs can be kept alive for a time but death is inevitable. Can we see pictures of the whole plant, so that I can look af the condition of the overall plant?

There are no recommended chemicals for treatment of Armillaria. Even if you were to remove every mushroom, the actual systemic fungal body will remain in the tree and soil.

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 3:34PM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Call to see if there is someone with Chatham County extension sercice who will take a look at your pictures. You might also try the Savannah Tree foundation or the Urban Forester with the City.

I also suspect that these are 'honey mushrooms '. But you need to understand that those mushrooms are not the actual problem but merely the fruiting body of the real problem which is a parasitic root rot Armillaria fungus often called shoe string root rot.

Getting rid of the mushrooms will do absolutely nothing to cure the disease nor to prevent it spreading. Infected trees and woody shrubs can be kept alive for a time but death is inevitable. Can we see pictures of the whole plant, so that I can look af the condition of the overall plant?

There are no recommended chemicals for treatment of Armillaria. Even if you were to remove every mushroom, the actual systemic fungal body will remain in the tree and soil.

Bookmark   December 8, 2013 at 5:03PM
KrakenQueen(8b, Savannah GA)

I'll give them a call this week.

Here are some photos of the holly.
The base of the tree is getting mushy spots :(

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 1:20PM

The holly tree is near our compost bins and smack dab in the middle of our planned chicken run.

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 1:22PM

The mushy spots.

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 1:23PM

The base where new growth showed up.

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 1:25PM

Lastly, the holly canopy.

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 1:26PM

I'll have to call after the holidays, they're out till the 4th.

Bookmark   December 30, 2013 at 1:46PM
More Discussions
Tips on growing ferns from spores? Have prothallia!
This year I decided I'd try my hand at growing ferns...
candogal
Doradilla? Fem Scale?
So I was in this Mexican market and found something...
cooperdr_gw
Rescuing wilting Holly Fern
I'm struggling to grow my Japanese holly fern in my...
fieldofflowers
Asplenum nidus with new fronds or new stems?
Two years ago they gave me two small Asplenium nidus...
Baobab
Decidedly Unhappy Moss
Hey all I live in Cape Town, South Africa. Here, we...
JasonFourie514
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™