How Necessary is Sterilization?

Edymnion(7a)December 10, 2012

Hello all,

I've got some bio-luminescent mushrooms that I ordered that are growing nicely. No fruiting bodies yet, but plenty of nice white glowing sheets spreading out over my substrate.

Soon (hopefully) I will get actual mushrooms, and with mushrooms, spores.

I'm looking at collecting the spores and trying to grow more that way, so I've been reading up on the subject. Pretty much everywhere I've found talks about sterilizing your vermiculite and using a spore syringe that you sterilize in an open flame, etc etc etc.

My question is, how necessary is all of that, really? I mean, mother nature does this out in the woods in the dark, it seems rather far fetched that full clean room conditions would be required for species propagation.

I could understand such precautions if I were going to grow edible mushrooms, as you never know when a spore of something poisonous might mix in from the general air, or not knowing what all could end up growing from a mix specially designed to promote fungal growth.

But for a decorative mushroom, is it really necessary to go through all these hoops, or can I just collect spores, mix with rainwater, and pour onto a new piece of wood and call it done (with decent success rates)?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Konrad___far_north(3..just outside of Edmonton)

Sure,...see how it goes and go from there.

I used to start in petry dish with agar, [similar to link below.] Sterilized everything first in pressure cooker,..dish, tools etc. Then agar is filled into dishes covered and cooled. A small room like a bathroom super clean and no airflow worked fairly good. I wrapped up a bunch of petry dishes in towels or cloth and put them in a drawer which never needed opening for about 10 day's or so until spores are grown all over.

Here is a link that might be useful: How to Grow Mushroom Spores in a Petri Dish Read more: How to Grow Mushroom Spores in a Petri Dish : eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_12139342_grow-mushroom-spores-petri-dish.html#ixzz2I17p1GRU

Bookmark   January 14, 2013 at 11:59PM
More Discussions
Foxtail Fern growing, but strangely.
This fall, about 5 or 6 weeks ago, I brought my foxtail...
SequoiaMatt99
Best micro-ferns/mosses for a SMALL closed plant terrarium
Hi, I am new to this but excited to learn more. I was...
momo034
Looking for unusual Maidenhair Ferns
Can anyone help me find a good reliable source (US)...
atravers
Moss FAQS: Propagation
Moss FAQS: Propagation Moss must continually make more...
deep_woods
What is this? How do I help it?!
Hello everyone! I have had this sad little fern for...
maineegainer
Sponsored Products
Hyperion Outdoor Rug - 5' x 8'
Grandin Road
Tybo Ceiling/Wall Light by Modiss
$504.00 | Lumens
Rotaliana | Luxy F1 Floor Lamp
$729.00 | YLighting
Possini Euro Selene 15" Wide Crystal Pendant Light
Euro Style Lighting
Cade Double Robe Hook
Signature Hardware