Moss resources or IDs

turkeytaker(Atlanta)December 28, 2008

I've been casually cultivating moss on our property for a couple of years. It's doing most of the work itself and slowly taking over the lawn, and it just hit me that I'm not entirely sure what we've got. Any assistance would be muchly appreciated! Are there any books or online resources that are recommended?

This guy just appeared about a year ago and has made pretty good progress in the sunnier areas of the lawn. I'm not sure whether it's actually a moss. When it's dry, it dries up a little, but it's immediately fluffy and green after a rain or heavy dew.

And then there's this guy. It appeared about two years ago and made short work of a lot of the lawn. It seems to prefer areas that get some shade during the day, but I've recently been finding it in sunnier spots. It did well during the summer when we had little rain.

Thanks!

Stacy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrestrial_man(9)

Since you are from Atlanta you may be able to id the mosses from the links that can be found at the Georgia Botanical Society thread on bryophytes that I constructed this year. There is a list of the mosses found there with links, when available, to other websites with images and other information. Check the link below.

Here is a link that might be useful: Georgia Botanial Society-thread on bryophytes

Bookmark   December 28, 2008 at 7:51PM
turkeytaker(Atlanta)

Great! Thanks so much -- off to read. :)

Bookmark   December 29, 2008 at 5:31PM
milkweed2(zone 7)

I am in Greenville, SC and have some moss going that looks the same as the first pic. I think it is fern moss. I have cushion moss and a terrific type of low growing, green velvety sidewalk moss. I started collecting it from cracks in abandoned parking lots mostly because it seemed to tolerate shade and sun.
I'd like any info on the sidewalk type. It is easy to use in a walk, and so far staying alive, but not spreading.
Any suggestions or info?

Bookmark   January 1, 2009 at 7:44PM
esh_ga

I think that "sidewalk moss" appreciates compacted soil and it might appreciate some lime (isn't that what leaches out of concrete?).

I also have both mosses shown above and would love to know their names.

Bookmark   January 2, 2009 at 10:04AM
greenlarry(UK 8/9)

Its a nice looking moss!

Bookmark   January 2, 2009 at 8:06PM
milkweed2(zone 7)

Has anyone tried to use thr buttermilk mixture with the sidewalk mosses? I am getting big stares when i get tiny bits of it from parking lots, and I wouldn't disturb property that was not mine.
lLee

Bookmark   January 4, 2009 at 4:26PM
turkeytaker(Atlanta)

milkweed2, a friend took a chunk from my yard and used a buttermilk mixture on an old brick planter she has. It's been about three months, and you can see the little mossy legs appearing. In my yard, I just take the loose bits that the dog tears up running around and put them in a bare spot. :)

Bookmark   January 4, 2009 at 4:30PM
milkweed2(zone 7)

Thanks. I am slowly adding to the garden. I have a new type in my own yard. I had not noticed because we have been in a drought. It is long and lacy, but straight strands, not like the fern type. My husband is going to die when he spots the small holes in his front lawn area. Moss is better! Lee

Bookmark   January 7, 2009 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
Bird's Nest Fern with yellowing leaves and white dots
Hi there, We've had our Bird's Nest Fern (Asplenium...
pkozul
ID for Winter Mushrooms?
Please see the Flickr link below if you think you might...
vmr423
Rabbit Foot Fern dropping fronds
I have a rabbit foot fern, Davailla sp., that has been...
gill_bo_baggins
Doradilla? Fem Scale?
So I was in this Mexican market and found something...
cooperdr_gw
Sphagnum moss problem
This happened once before when it got too hot but this...
cooperdr_gw
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™