Oil over latex over oil??

midnightsmum (Z4, ON)September 29, 2011

OK, I know better, but the previous people did not. So now I have a staircase with latex paint over oil, and it is of course not sticking. If I put acrylic primer over it before I repaint, what are the chances it will stick??

I know that there is painting forum, but my luck on that side has never been good. Help!!

tia, Nancy.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
thinman(Z5 MI)

Nancy, I know that when you paint over oil, even with more oil, you need to clean thoroughly with TSP and water, rinse it off, and either sand to rough up the surface, or use a deglosser. Then, I've read that if you're covering with latex, use an oil-based primer like original Kilz first. Use good ventilation with that stuff.

I'm not an expert on this so I can't say that an acrylic primer wouldn't work, but the Kilz seems to be recommended more. If the acrylic primer specifically says that it can be used over oil, it probably would be OK.

Hope the latex comes off easily for you.

ThinMan

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 9:07AM
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)

Yuck, what a job!! Cause somebody else didn't know!!

Thanks TM!!

Bookmark   September 30, 2011 at 10:15AM
excess

putting 1 small box of baking soda per gallon of latex makes the paint a unmatched quality it will make paint scrub-able and lasts for years you can paint over stained and nicotine spots it will kill mold remember to add water 1 part water 2 parts paint.pics show stained ceiling before and after .i left a spot to show 6 years after painting.

Bookmark   December 21, 2014 at 3:30PM
cyn427(z7aN. VA)

Nancy, we always sand, sand, sand! I have also used Kilz to prime. I need to repaint my kitchen cabinets and will be doing that all over again come summer! Not sure I have the energy unless I am on vacation!

Bookmark   December 21, 2014 at 5:29PM
More Discussions
Weekend Trivia: Sunday
Brrr, woke up to no power this morning and the house...
cyn427 (zone 7)
Wanting to sow my wild flower seeds, have questions
Recently a gas line was installed in front of our house...
Lilyfinch z7 mid tn
An Irish Cottage Garden.
Not my own Irish Cottage Garden this time,..i have...
nulty
Hillside cottage garden
Hello! I am going to make my first ever attempt at...
rickcrum
Here's what my Garden looks like!!
The icicles are getting crazy big, but they look pretty...
midnightsmum (Z4, ON)
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™