where to buy moss spores and material?

ozarkdreamsDecember 21, 2009

I've looked through pages of google with no luck, where can I find live plants or spores? I found one genus I was looking for, but otherwise I'm having trouble discovering any vendors with a large selection of mosses, particularly rare ones.

I'd love to grow more Lycopodium or Dawsonia species for example..

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
terrestrial_man(9)

There are no vendors with large selections of moss species to grow. Your best bet is to inventory everything you can find on the net. Also keep in mind that you can find mosses in nursery grown pots of regular flowering plants locally in some cases.
You may want to try to collect interested species on your own if they occur near you. Also you should check eBay as some mosses are offered off and on there.
Same with Lycopodium. Very few species can be found on the net for sale. eBay is your best bet with these.
Dawsonia! Far as I know it is not grown in this country even in any university greenhouse but ??? However, I have contacted a New Zealander to see if they can provide spores as spores can be sent international with no problem unless the species is CITES restricted on any plant material of the species. Will post or contact if I get a positive response.

Bookmark   December 21, 2009 at 8:40PM
garyfla_gw(10 Florida)

Hi
Do you want temperate or tropical,terrestrial or epiphytic?? You can get specimen size lycopodium squarrosum from Gardinos.. If you can wade through the mess maybe Glass house works?? lol You could ask "world plants" to do a search for you. They found a couple of very rare plants for me. gary

Bookmark   December 22, 2009 at 6:54AM
ozarkdreams

thanks for the help! i'll be checking back periodically, or pm me.

Bookmark   December 29, 2009 at 10:07AM
More Discussions
ID for Winter Mushrooms?
Please see the Flickr link below if you think you might...
vmr423
What is this? How do I help it?!
Hello everyone! I have had this sad little fern for...
maineegainer
Reviving sphagnum
I've been trying to revive my sphagnum moss using dried...
David146
Is this a moss / lichen / ???
Hello all, I picked this (attached picture) up along...
pessimizt
Asplenum nidus with new fronds or new stems?
Two years ago they gave me two small Asplenium nidus...
Baobab
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™