Best time to plant citrus trees

csetzSeptember 20, 2009

I've moved into the state a year or so ago. Keep staring ay my neighbors orange and grapefruit trees. WOuld like to start a few of my own. When is the best time to plant them? What size would you recommend starting with if I want fruit in a year or so?

Also, appears I have a lemon tree in the corner of the lot. I haven't seen a blossom on it, but the leaves smell like lemon. typically how long till a lemon tree bears fruit? I estimate this one at 3-4 years old.

Thanks - Chad

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
fofoca(9b NorCal)

Chad, which state was that? Here in California, fall is a good time to plant them - they can get settled during the mild weather and be ready to take off in the spring. This would not work well in other parts of the country.

If a tree is grafted or from cuttings from a mature tree, it should bear fruit within a year or two. A seedling can take up to 10 years.

I have a one-gallon Meyer lemon that is starting to bear fruit, and a 3.5-gallon yuzu that should bloom next spring. Both were purchased this spring and I'm keeping them in containers.

All citrus need the right environment (sun, feeding, watering, etc.) to produce reliable crops, so do a bit of research so you can ensure success. Sounds like your neighbor would be a good consultant!

Bookmark   September 20, 2009 at 11:53AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
softmentor(z9/sunset13 CA desert)

I agree, right now is a great time to start new citrus. It still has enough time to get some new growth, then harden up for winter.

Bookmark   September 24, 2009 at 10:44PM
More Discussions
Citrus/Orange Tree in Container---Health Concerns
Hi there! So, about three years ago a friend of mine...
Grace Larkin
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
Bugs 15
Ok. I've had enough of having to wait forever to get...
mikerno_1micha
Costco citrus!
Has your Costco started to stock any? We got some kumquat,...
serge94501
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™